7Qt Kitchenaid Mixer Nsf Vs Non-Nsf

Decorating By vgcea Updated 11 Apr 2015 , 8:28pm by quadcity

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 7:07am
post #1 of 9

Which do you have? Is there a huge difference between the two? Black Friday is around the corner and I'm getting my shopping list ready. I operate a home-based business, I'm assuming the NSF mixer is designed for major commercial use (beyond a home-based business). I may be wrong.

Also considering the Pro 600 if the 7qt becomes cost prohibitive.

8 replies
VanillaSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaSky Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 9

AI have the 7qt NSF. I went with the NSF because I actually found it at a better price than the non-NSF online.

I love it and it is incredibly quiet and powerful.

I can't compare performance of the two, but I know the non-NSF certified one comes in different colors, instead of just white. All of my appliances are white, so white worked for me.

I do have a 6 qt Pro and the 7 qt is about the same size, and they look the same next to each other (except for the orange cord on the 7 qt). I can use the bowls and beaters for each on the other so that's nice. The motor is much more powerful on the 7qt. I can make a batch of MFF on my 7 qt with no hand kneading. But on my 6 qt, the last cups of powdered sugar had to be kneaded by hand because the machine will start to make weird noises.

flourconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourconfections Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 9

As a KitchenAid retailer it is my understanding that the internal components of the 2 mixers are identical (there are some other differences; an "orange power cord", slightly different bowl handle, and I think the included whisk, dough hook and beater are made from stainless steel)

One MAIN difference is (apart for the actual NSF certification and the things I mentioned above); the NON NSF machine is made and warrantied for NON commercial use only.

Meaning (this is my interpretation and therefore JMHO), if you are making cakes from your home you are probably good to purchase the NON NSF 7 quart without worry... If you have a bakery or other commercial settings, you may want to consider the NSF model.

On a side note; in Canada (where we are located) the Commercial/NSF model is not available. However, the commercial (stainless steel) accessories are available for purchase...

vgcea Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for these responses Vanilla Sky and flourconfections! 

@ Vanilla Sky, where in the world did you find the NSF for a lower price?

@flour confections, I might end up purchasing the non-NSF and then going for stainless steel accessories. Didn't think about that option. It all boils down to price at this point.

VanillaSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaSky Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 1:38am
post #5 of 9

AI paid $525 last December for my mixer from webrestaurantstore.com. I bought an extra bowl for $57 and shipping was $22, and no tax.

There weren't a lot of retailers for the mixer back then. I believe Williams Sonoma had an exclusive window but I could be wrong. All the retailers I saw for the non-NSF model were asking at least $600 at the time. Now, more retailers are offering it so the prices have come down. Plus you can buy refurbished ones at an even lower price. I bought my 6 qt refurbished six years ago and have no regrets.

Oh, on your original question if there was a difference between the NSF and non-NSF model. I believe the non-NSF beater and dough hook require hand washing but the NSF ones are stainless steel. That was a big difference for me that made me lean towards the NSF model. I like being able to throw as much as possible in the dishwasher after baking a cake.

vgcea Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 5:18am
post #6 of 9

Thanks Vanilla Sky.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
. . . but I know the non-NSF certified one comes in different colors, instead of just white . . .

Why do I suddenly find myself thinking of Alton Brown's stand mixer with the flame paint-job?

cakerack789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerack789 Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 3:22am
post #8 of 9

I just happened upon this website while searching for a logo design.  I subscribed because I value the information and comments of other industry professionals.  Thank you, Carlene from Cake Rack International.

quadcity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quadcity Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 9

Does anyone know the difference between the non nsf 7 qt stand mixer and the non nsf 7 qt pro series stand mixer - kitchenaid  thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%