Wilton Edible Sugar Sheets A Few Questions....

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 13 Nov 2012 , 5:01pm by hbquikcomjamesl

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 4

Are they any good to use...What do they taste like?? are they easy to cut through on a cake?

Anyone's thoughts who have used them....

Thanksthumbs_up.gif

3 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 4

This is just a semi-educated guess, but (and I think this applies to both edible image media and pre-printed edible clip-art):

If they're anything even remotely like the edible image media the local cake supply uses (presumably DecoPac, since they use DecoPac inks), they probably taste very bland (I actually tasted a bit of the waste area of my first edible image), and cut very easily. (Maybe too easily: my parents, wanting to preserve the speed limit sign on their anniversary cake for as long as possible, cut around it, and within a day or so, the foil covering over the cake had made contact with the image, stuck to it, and taken a divot out of it! Why I didn't use the pan with the fitted cover, or break down and buy a cake cover set . . . )

I'm guessing that's fairly typical, since you wouldn't want to have the flavor of the material fighting with the flavor of the frosting, or the structural integrity of it fighting you when you try to cut it.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 12:29am
post #3 of 4

I tasted a small circle of it. It didn't dissolve immediately in my mouth- it took about 15 seconds. When I picked it up, it was thicker than I expected- thicker than rice paper.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 4

That more-or-less squares with my own experiences. Is the Wilton product on a plastic backing sheet?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%