Late To A Venue?

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 12 Nov 2012 , 6:00pm by cakeyouverymuch

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 5:53am
post #1 of 7

AGreetings!

Have any of you ever been 2 hrs late to a venue due to traffic or unforeseen circumstances? If so, how did you handle it? Did you offer a refund or discount?

I had 2 deliverers yesterday. The 1st one was at11am and the venue was a little over 2 hrs away The 2nd event wasn't due to start until 3. Long story short, I made the 1st venue on time, but wad 2 hrs late for the 2nd venue due go heavy traffic (accident) . I kept all lines of communication open with my customer. I checked in with her often letting her know what was going on. So when I finally arrived to the venue (baby shower) there was nothing but rudeness & attitudesi .

When my husband & I walked in with the cake, some lady (not my customer) said, "That's a nice discount cake" twice. I offered a discount on their next order or free 2 dozen cupcakes. I even thought about giving her a portion of her money back. My customer was a little upset & rightfully so. I apologized to her about 4 timews. I feel bad about it.

Has this ever happened to any of you? If so, how did you handle it? What advice can you offer me for the future?

6 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 6:19am
post #2 of 7

I think the lady who wasn't your customer mentioning a discount cake was unbelievably rude - not your customer so I wouldn't pay any attention to her.

Aren't you doing them a big favour anyway by delivering the cake to them? I only deliver wedding cakes so I can make sure they are set up properly. For a baby shower - they can come and get the cake! I would feel upset too if unforeseen circumstances meant I was arriving late but you did all the right things in keeping your customer updated and offering a discount.

The baby showers I've been to have run for way longer than two hours - surely they could've gotten on with the rest of the shower and had the cake later when it arrived?

I think they were very rude - try not to let it upset you too much, it was completely beyond your control. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with any really rude customers yet. I hope I handle it as well as you do if/when it happens!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 8:13am
post #3 of 7

ANo way 2 hours late even if you were talking with the person that ordered the cake. 2 hours late is just crazy , and it sounds like the person that ordered the cake did Not know how to handle what was going on with you being that late that's probably why the other woman spoke up when you did finally get there. Refund , refund , refund. No there maynot of been anything you could do but after 2 hours of being late probably some of the guest had left.....I just think even though the time was out your hands its just crazy to ask the customer to pay at all.

I'll

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 7

AI would've given her 25% back, in cash, right then, and given her 15% off a future order that she would've had to come get!

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 7

I too say refund. Usually the cake is the centerpiece of the party. I understand the traffic, accidents etc, but even though it is not your fault and you did everything right by communicating with her, two hours is just as bad as not getting it there at all. Sorry this happened to youicon_sad.gif

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 7

Good Morning Ladies!

Thanks for your replies! I did give her a partial refund and a discount on a future order yesterday. She paid me in advance so I didn't make her pay me on the spot. 

I just know that for now on, if I have 2 orders at the same time and if one literally 2 hours from my home and the other one in town, I will be sure the one in town gets theirs first. I underestimated Sunday's highway traffic. 

Luckily, my customer was very understanding and there were people still there. She told me this morning that everyone liked the cake and that it was good. I just hope she will still come back to me. We live and learn. I'm relatively new to delivering cakes and this business. This is a learning experience and believe me I did learn a lot. 

More responses are definitely welcome. If anyone experienced something similar, please share your story. 

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_me1 

I think the lady who wasn't your customer mentioning a discount cake was unbelievably rude - not your customer so I wouldn't pay any attention to her. Aren't you doing them a big favour anyway by delivering the cake to them? I only deliver wedding cakes so I can make sure they are set up properly. For a baby shower - they can come and get the cake! I would feel upset too if unforeseen circumstances meant I was arriving late but you did all the right things in keeping your customer updated and offering a discount. The baby showers I've been to have run for way longer than two hours - surely they could've gotten on with the rest of the shower and had the cake later when it arrived? I think they were very rude - try not to let it upset you too much, it was completely beyond your control. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with any really rude customers yet. I hope I handle it as well as you do if/when it happens!

"Aren't you doing them a big favour anyway by delivering the cake to them?"

Uuuuummmmm. . . NO.  If you agreed to deliver the cake at a specified time, in delivering the cake to them you are most definately NOT "doing them a favor".  What you ARE doing is fulfilling a contact with the customer, and if you fail to deliver said cake at said time you have failed to uphold your part of the contract.  In that case the customer who expects some sort of refund is NOT being rude. 

To the OP:  You appear to have handled a difficult situation as well as you possibly could have, and have learned a valuable lesson in the process.  Kudos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%