Cake Marvel "lids" For Level Cakes

Decorating By shanter Updated 27 Dec 2012 , 5:49am by Michellechellie

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 7:25am
post #1 of 17

Has anyone used these: http://www.cakemarvel.com/ ?

If so, what did you think of them?

16 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 9:59am
post #2 of 17

I can't imagine having to buy lids for all my cake pans. I don't like or use Wilton pans which I believe these lids are for. If I get a dome, I just place a clean dish towel over the cake while still hot and in the pan and put a cookie sheet on top of it and press for a few minutes. I would imagine these lids work the same way.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 11:56am
post #3 of 17

I have quite the imagination so I'm envisioning excess batter oozing out between the pan and the cover then down onto my oven floor - the kitchen filling with smoke - all for something a quick swipe with my AGBAY leveler would solve.  I welcome the cake humps because I use them for taste tests.  Nope, these are not for me.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 17

I envision a "roasted" or "steamed" cake...eeewwwww. 

There's nothing hard about trimming a cake to be level and it also allows me to taste what I've baked--win, win.

Rae

tharrison2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tharrison2005 Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 12:46am
post #5 of 17

to avoid the cake dome, i put my cake in a water bath...just like a cheese cake. once the cake has risen, it take it out of the bath and then let it bake some more until it gets dark.  comes out perfect each and every time.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 17

This is not a new idea I bought a cake baking video several years ago and this concept was shown on the video. Basically, you put a pan 1" larger on top. like a lid. It does work and you will get a very level cake. The problem is, you have to have the right amount of batter for this to work correctly.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 17

Tharrison, what do you mean put your cake in water? lost me on this one...lol

I also invision batter bubbling over the pan, and having a mess to clean up...

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 17

AYep I would be affaid of a mess

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 17

A water bath goes like this.  Use a Pan that's larger than the cake pan with batter in it, place a little water in the larger empty pan then place the batter filled pan into the water filled pan and place both in the oven.  The small amount of water in the larger pan slowly evaporates as the cake bakes and keeps the cake moist and apparently helps it bake even.  I'll have to try that one.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 12:04am
post #10 of 17

If you do many cakes, that could add up fast to the cost of an Agbay. With an Agbay, you can level almost any size, get to taste the cake, and be sure the center is cooked.

lauraos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauraos Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 4:36am
post #11 of 17

AI love the cake marvel pan I have no worries about how my cakes Are going to look for my catering business. I also have Wilton cake kit awesome decorations I feel confident and my coworkers just adore my cakes. I do recommend it.

cjasso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjasso Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 4:24pm
post #12 of 17

I started using the cake marvel lids a couple of months ago and I love them!!! I get a perfect cake every time and I would recommed them to everyone!!:)

Michellechellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellechellie Posted 15 Dec 2012 , 7:02am
post #13 of 17

Wow, sounds like a lot of work to use water pan on a cake.  I know the method is used to make flan cakes, but never to level your cake. 

I hope I can re-assure you that using the cake marvel lids is the best thing I have ever done.  I bake cakes from home and those trimmed cake tops would be too much for parfaits and cake balls.  As far as tasting and eating left over cake dome, no way!!! I have gained so much weight doing that bit of cake tasting :-)

I am so happy there is no waste.  Cake Marvel website tells you how much batter to use.  All I do is put wax paper on bottom of pan, spray edges and spray the lid.  Any non-stick spray works. No flour.

My favorite is the 10" round and 9x13; 1 box of mix for round and 2 box mixes for 9x13.  SO easy!! very level beautiful cakes. 

:-) lol I am a fan...

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 15 Dec 2012 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 17

II am a hobby baker, so the time saved may be more of an issue for others.  I agree with Rae - It is so easy to level the cake with the Agbay, that it does not seem worth the extra expense and space for storage. Even if the cake was flat on top I would probably still level it to remove the browned top (for light colored cakes), and to get the levels exactly the same height.   Leveling allows me to taste test and to check for doneness.  Most importantly, though, my teenage son would be terribly disappointed if there were no scraps to snack on! 

Michellechellie Posted 15 Dec 2012 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 17

An agbay is great for torts and several layers of filling. The marvel cake lid is great for me and everyone who wants to get to the fun part of decorating! lol  Actually if you didn't want to put icing on it you don't have too.  The lid prevents that ugly browning you don't want for those lighter cakes.  I love that I can tell what I have on the table by looking at the color of bread, lemon, strawberry, white and vanilla.  Just drizzle some marmalade on top and serve.  I wish I had some pics, but go to the website and you can see the difference. See rainbow cake video:

I can make a 3 tier cake with just 4 boxes of mix, of course if you make your own batter it's approximately 18 to 20 cups of batter. 

As a cake decorator and I have no one else to help me, I want to use all available tools to get my cakes out quickly and make everyone happy.

Have fun baking!

Michellechellie Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 2:12am
post #16 of 17

Oh okay, teenage son in the house! oh my! I guess you can save all the cake tops for him :-)

Michellechellie Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 5:49am
post #17 of 17

I love my lids, the 10" and 1/4 sheet is my favorite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%