Dvd That Gives Great Info On Dusting?

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 12 Nov 2012 , 3:08am by kimbm04r

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 3

I love to work with gumpaste flowers, and feel pretty confident with the mechanics of making the actual flowers, but I feel like I can't dust them for squat.

I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong type of brushes, not applying it right, or what.  I just know I stink at dusting flowers :).  My colors never look very saturated to me, and I'm not good at blending between different colors.  Grrrrr.

So does anyone have a suggestion for a dvd or instructor who does a THOROUGH job explaining the dusting process, brushes, techniques, etc?  I've spent tons of time on YouTube, Pinterest, etc, and found lots of info, but nothing super in-depth.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 12:17am
post #2 of 3

I'm not aware of a DVD or tutorial that just goes over dusting (but then again I've never done looking for one either so there might be). But Edna de la Cruz's DVD on making gumpaste roses does cover dusting.  I don't know if it would be worth it to you to pick it up but she does a great job of explaining all the rose techniques (single cutter, 5 petal cutter, quick roses, more time consuming detailed roses and dusting). It's really good. 

Also, one quick tip I learned from her, when dusting, the first thing you should do is dust the flower in a dust that is basically the same color as your gumpaste. The reason for this is to provide a base so you can blend the other dusts on top of it. Otherwise dust tends to just stay stuck where you first apply it and is more of a blob of color instead of evenly dispursed. Then you work in the other colors. 

Hope that's a bit of help anyway.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 3:07am
post #3 of 3

I have the Sugarpaste in Bloom, Beautiful Blossoms (volume 1).  It is from Sharon Zambito (Sugaredproductions) and it shows how to make sunflowers including the dusting.  I used this video when I made the Sunflower wedding cake in my profile picture and gallery.  Great video.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%