Drooping Corners

Decorating By kello Updated 14 Nov 2012 , 10:48pm by kello

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 9

Is there a trick out there that helps with square corners from drooping? I can get perfectly sharp edges and corners with buttercream, but once the fondant goes on, my corners want to fall and not stay up.  My cakes are cold and I'm not using thick fondant and I've tried using a stiff dam and a little extra icing in the corners, but nothing seems to help.

Any advise??

8 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 9

You need to work the fontant into a sharp edge after you place it, using two smoothers together is the way to go- one on the side and one on the top. Work them together so they meet and they'll shape the fondant nice and sharp. I found it best to practice with slightly thicker fondant first and you can practice over and over on a dummy.

There's a youtube link that shows this really well after covering cakes in ganache, I can't remember it sorry but if you google "how to make shap cake edges" or something like that you should find it, its in several parts, first is making ganche and covering with ganache, next is fondant and sharp edges.

Hope that helps :)

kello Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 9

Thank for your reply Crazy-Grey.  I will definitely give the corners more attention.  Found the videos...they were very informative.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 9

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 2:31am
post #5 of 9

To maintain sharp edges and corners on square cakes, I typically coat the entire cake (after filling and stacking) with a significant layer of chocolate ganache. After the ganache firms up, it really helps maintain the shape of the cake. I then coat with icing, chill to firm, and then apply the fondant. When I trim the bottom edge of the fondant, I leave a ring of fondant all around the cake and let it sit for an hour or so to allow the fondant to harden up. then I trim off the remaining excess fondant off the bottom and move it onto a cake board.... again, being careful not to overtrim. The fondant needs to rest on the cakeboard to prevent its weight from pulling down on the cake and deforming the edges and corners.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 9

I think she means the edge droops down.  I have a tip!

I place a piece one "chocolate chunk" (some people use chocolate chips, but the chunks are the best) under the tip of each corner.  That way, the corners don't droop.  I tried the extra frosting, but the weight just made them sag.  

kello Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, that is more my problem.  I think I get the edges pretty nice, but the corners want to fall.  I will definitely try the chunk.  :)  It doesn't show through the fondant?  Thanks so much for the suggestions.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 9

Doesn't show at all.  I put the chunk between the bottom layer & cake board when filling & crumb coating so it's hidden by buttercream.

kello Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 9

I get it now....lol.  I was thinking right under the fondant at the top.  Makes sense.  Can't believe a "chunk" can solve the problem!!  Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%