Opinion Please

Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 8 Dec 2012 , 1:21pm by kblickster

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:12am
post #31 of 53

You probably won't like this, but I'd say that if you refused to do the flavor that she wanted you should give her the deposit back. Red velvet with caramel would go over just fine here, even for the whole cake. And if they had cake left over they would just take it home, no big deal. But if you refuse to do what the client wants then you were the one cancelling the contract, so you should give the money back.

It sounds like she's got you pretty riled up about this, it just seems to have grown into a bigger issue than it needed to be to begin with. Ugh

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:24am
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

You probably won't like this, but I'd say that if you refused to do the flavor that she wanted you should give her the deposit back. Red velvet with caramel would go over just fine here, even for the whole cake. And if they had cake left over they would just take it home, no big deal. But if you refuse to do what the client wants then you were the one cancelling the contract, so you should give the money back.

It sounds like she's got you pretty riled up about this, it just seems to have grown into a bigger issue than it needed to be to begin with. Ugh

/Agree

Very well said

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:29am
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

In my opinion, you are wrong. Had you cancelled her for lack of payment, you would have been well within your rights.  According to your own statements, you waived that right.  You were willing to accept payment but not the flavors you dislike.  Does your contract provide that type of creative license?  I doubt it.

Part of being in this particular industry is understanding and placating clients.  You were rude and disrespectful.  More importantly, you are the one that breached this contract.  I would not be surprised if they sue you.  They would have a compelling argument.

i agree with this.  And I can't believe that you'd let this blow up when you are going to be in contact with their family in your church community.  I would never want to do business with someone who breached contract and kept payment based on their preference over mine  (having one choice only).  If it was a straight up cancellation based on payment, that is one thing. but there is no way that the re-telling of this incident is going to leaving you looking like anything but the nightmare baker who ruined the wedding.  Maybe you'd get some sympathy from fellow business owners, but everyone is a consumer and no one would want to be treated that way. 

costumeczar Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 1:58am
post #34 of 53

Out of curiosity, do you have a clause in your contract that details what percentage of payment would be refunded under what circumstances? If you don't you need to put one in! I have a whole section in mine that goes over everything, and I think this kind of situation would fall into the 100% refund category.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 2:59am
post #35 of 53

All I can say is WOAH!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 3:09am
post #36 of 53

AFYI, the wedding has taken place. They somehow managed to make it without me, and I gave them a store credit. A transferable one, lol.

costumeczar Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 3:38am
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

FYI, the wedding has taken place. They somehow managed to make it without me, and I gave them a store credit. A transferable one, lol.

What, like "please transfer this to someone else" icon_wink.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:01am
post #38 of 53

lol Kara

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:01am
post #39 of 53

AWow what a mess and really a store credit as if she wants to deal with someone who insist it be her way or not at all As far as I see it the second you heard red velvet with carmel filling you thought nope noway you should of never took her deposit being that you are so against the cake she wanted. You sound high and mighty , you took away her choice of cake just because you dont like the flavor combo doesn't mean others won't. I think you hurt your business by acting the way you did.I agree with the post that you sound like a horrible person to deal with. It also sounds like you want to continue to torture this poor girl with your store credit

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:26am
post #40 of 53

Puts me in mind of a running joke on Seinfeld:

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 4:35am
post #41 of 53

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

What, like "please transfer this to someone else" :wink:

That does sound like what it is, and if so that's probably the worst possible choice for both parties, since OP is out the cost of the deposit and the customer won't get her refund.

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 5:25am
post #42 of 53

AI can't seem to quote with my phone, but to the sweet gal who pointed out that I should never have taken her deposit since I didn't want to do red velvet with caramel, I took her deposit in August for nov 17. Her final payment was due nov 3, and she didn't make it clear that she wanted just the single flavor until nov 9. On October 23, after repeatedly asking about flavors, she says "Hey! We decided just on Red Velvet Cake with Caramel filling and Buttercream icing." (In hindsight I see she may have meant, '...decided TO HAVE JUST red velvet...,' but that is NOT CLEAR from her wording!)

To which I immediately replied," For the whole cake? "

2 days later, at 10:30 at night, I get my 'reply'," What we talked about the first time when we met sounds good! sorry to make it so complicated!" Which made me turn my head a bit because we did discuss popular flavors, but she hadn't chosen a flavor what so ever at this point.

That is when I replied, " Do you want to sit down and discuss flavor combos again when you pay your balance? Your balance of $245.50 is due no later than November 3. I would have some time on Sunday, or Wednesday. Let me know ;-) " essential giving her a second consultation, for free, so she could get her crap straight.

I don't hear a thing back, and my calls and messages go unreturned.

So then, November first, SEVEN DAYS LATER! she writes,"I have confidence in you! Just what we had talked about when we first met sounds good! Ok. Should I just write out a check? " I'm still wondering, 'WTF flavors does this poor child want???' Doesn't clear a thing up.

Painstakingly, with the utmost patience, I reply," How many flavors do you want? You have 4 tiers, so 3 flavors are nice to have, since the top is so small. The most popular are red velvet with cream cheese, white with strawberry, and chocolate with cookies and cream."

The following night, on the second, the next to the last day to pay, I ge my hallelujah moment, and she replies,"We want red velvet and carmel and white with strawberry. I know that's only two... but we liked those and cant quite remember the others. And do you still have our credit card info? If so are you able to just use that? If not its no big deal I can just drop the check off at your house."

So, I say, "two flavors is just fine:-) ill be sure your anniversary tier is the red velvet caramel! I don't keep credit card info, but a check will do just fine:-) See you tomorrow, what time may I expect you? I'll be here until noon, then after 4, but you may put it in the box if I am gone. Thank you!!"

She did not show up, and after calling twice, I left it alone, as I have my own children to look after.

It was 6 days later on the 8th, when she contacted me via text at 11:30 at night, while I was "doing laundry" (anyone still remember that thread by SummerNoelle? Good times ;-) )

So, while I love how so many of you have become emotionally invested in this poor girl's plight, and think of me as the cake natzi (lol) I feel like I earned every single penny of the $50 deposit. It was like pulling teeth... from a mentally challenged monkey. I swear, I aged 2 years dealing with the little dummy, and waiting days on end to get a reply that made no sense!

And if I lost business from her mentally challenged, ditzy, spoiled dummy friends, then GOOD!!! I don't flipping want their business!!! I'll do I all over again to insure that I don't have to deal with all those stupid cows, if she does have friends.

There's a saying about sticking things in a pipe and smoking it that I think applies here :-D But I'll just say, NO CAKE FOR YOU!!! lmao!

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 5:41am
post #43 of 53

BTW, I have to say it is so nice to see a thread updated so regularly again! There used to be so many threads and posts on here that I would go to the 
"recent posts" every couple hours and the whole page would be new. Now, even a day later, they are the same old posts from the day before. I am happy to see the ole'  mob back together, even if it's just for a lynchin'. ;-D

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 6:25am
post #44 of 53

Wow. Personally, I think you were in the wrong here. You should have given back her deposit since you refused to do the flavors she wanted, after you let it slide about the not paying. Your 'advice' and attitude was really out of line and I can't blame her at all for not wanting to do business with you.

It's shocking that you all attend the same church too (well, maybe that's not so shocking after all). I think how this was handle by you, will come back to hurt you, as it was immature and unjust. I would not be able to do business with you (no matter what business you had) just based on your attitude and treatment of this person.  

no offense there...but really, refusing to do a cake and giving the 'advice' you gave to her because you don't like the flavors she wanted? That's a joke.  

Besides taste is all relative, you know?

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 6:29am
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

So, while I love how so many of you have become emotionally invested in this poor girl's plight, and think of me as the cake natzi (lol) I feel like I earned every single penny of the $50 deposit. It was like pulling teeth... from a mentally challenged monkey. I swear, I aged 2 years dealing with the little dummy, and waiting days on end to get a reply that made no sense!
And if I lost business from her mentally challenged, ditzy, spoiled dummy friends, then GOOD!!! I don't flipping want their business!!! I'll do I all over again to insure that I don't have to deal with all those stupid cows, if she does have friends.
\

And this makes you sound like a really nasty person. Sounds like you need to do some serious reflecting. 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 6:30am
post #46 of 53

AFrom what you've shared it sounds like the bride is guilty of being frazzled just before her wedding: making a last-minute request, failing to follow up with you, and failing to pay the required deposits. Clearly outlining the consequences of any of these actions in a professional manner would have defused the situation before it descended into an ugly mess.

The customer's behavior certainly doesn't warrant you calling her names, hopefully you will edit that part out of your post to avoid further damaging your reputation. Perhaps if you take more time to carefully consider your responses in the future and remember to treat others with respect (while still being firm), you will have an easier time dealing with problem customers.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 6:54am
post #47 of 53

^^^ this

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 7:34am
post #48 of 53

AI can't believe you even posted that online, I would have been far too too embarassed. You dealt with it horribly from the get go, and I don't know why you starting with your condescending 'oh it's because your young' BS. That would have totally P'd me off. If she's playing you around with the payment a simple, you missed the deadline and your refund is non-refundable would have been fine.

Seriously, if you think you're so much better than your lowly childish customers then don't take orders from them. What's with the complex?

Of course you have a right to refuse orders, she didn't ask your for a giant phallus with pubic hair, she asked for a flavour that you don't like. How on earth is that going to ruin your glowing reputation? If your red velvet is good and your caramel is good, it will be good! Even if the flavours don't go well.

A $50 deposit is nothing, you should have returned it for refusing their order and your disgraceful manners. I've seen newbies on here get ripped apart for FAR less than your hot mess, and I like your posts!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 10:57am
post #49 of 53

You really should give the bride her deposit back. In money, not credit. If I were she, I'd take you to small claims court.

nadauh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadauh Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 11:13am
post #50 of 53

AIt sounds to me that you don't want opinions, but you want people to say that you are right!

If I was that client I would have searched for another cake decorater far sooner. You are talking about what she has done but you forget that you are supposed to be a professional! To me it sound like an ordinary high school fight and atittude.... But she said....

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 11:42am
post #51 of 53

AI feel the same way as shanter does I would sue just for the priciable sp? Of the whole thing. And to write that the wedding happened without you making the cake as if they weren't gonna get married just because you acted the way you did

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 12:38pm
post #52 of 53

A

Original message sent by kazita

I feel the same way as shanter does I would sue just for the priciable sp? Of the whole thing. And to write that the wedding happened without you making the cake as if they weren't gonna get married just because you acted the way you did

It's principle, with a P, and that was called heavy sarcasm...Really... Smh...

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 1:21pm
post #53 of 53

What I learned from this thread.....

Customers can be forgetful, demanding, rude, and perhaps not to my liking.  None the less, they are customers and if I choose to deal with them, then I must do so in a professional manner. 

I must be very careful when responding in writing.  Not only did the OP treat her customer with disrespect, she did it for the whole world to see.  Her customer can not just go around spouting, "She said...", she can pull out her phone anytime, anywhere and show everyone what "She said....  She can post it youtube, facebook, email it.....What a nightmare.

Do not ask for opinions on a chat thread if you only want to be vindicated.

vindicated past participle, past tense of vin·di·cate (Verb)

Verb
  1. Clear (someone) of blame or suspicion.
  2. Show or prove to be right, reasonable, or justified.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%