Advice With Fondant On Square Cake

Baking By TexasCakes77 Updated 13 Nov 2012 , 8:11pm by LisieAn

TexasCakes77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasCakes77 Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a 4 tier fondant covered square cake next weekend for a big wedding. The bride wants MMF - and I literally hate covering square cakes wih MMF b/c it's not the most elastic... anyway I'm dreading it.

Any advice or recipes on MMF - I use a basic recipe (Mallows, powedered sugar, vanilla, water), but I have never tried to use a recipe with glycerin or gelatin - I hear they make it more elastic?

Any reviews of recipes or advice please?

Thanks!

2 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 3

Lots of decorators on this site, use Michelle Fosters fondant recipe (not mmf) . I have made it also. It taste really good and works good. Lots use Rhonda's mmf recipe from this site and they all love that. So look at both of those and try them or just decide what you would do. Again, both are keepers from decorators on this site. hth Toba Garret has a great fondant recipe. It is also on this site.

LisieAn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisieAn Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 3

MMF is about the perfect consistency/elasticity for me about 5 hours after I make it. I add a little cornstarch to mine. I haven't had any problems covering square cakes.  I just form the corners diagonally from each other first and then smooth the sides.

--

Elise

http://elisescustomcakes.weebly.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%