Best Way To Transport Any Cake To A Customer

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 9 Nov 2012 , 1:57am by cakegal1976

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 9:07am
post #1 of 18

I find once my final cake/cakes are done...I have to figure out how to get my cakes to the customer. Like yesterday I made a birthday cake, had to take it to a woman at work...let it sit in the truck over night while we worked graveyard. Since I work an hour away from  home....she wanted the cake early when we got off work which is like 7am...as she was going out of town.

So I put the cake in a pull ups diaper box...on its side...taped the flaps together so they didnt hit the cake and then I saran wrapped the opening....

Any ideas for future cakes?? Maybe something where Im  not buying boxes all the time...

17 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 11:12am
post #2 of 18

I honestly think that buying boxes is best, they are more profesional, they cover the cake entirely or are easily adaptable to do so (which is a legal requirement in the UK when using a personal verhicle to deliver cake), they are less likely to have picked up pathogens/contaminates from elswere in the house and they're pretty cheap, especially if you buy in bulk.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 18

If you don't want to or need to buy volume amounts of boxes, buy individual packing boxes at Walmart. They have great sizes, and they're like $1 or less. I use those, but slide them back out once I get to the destination and just carry the cake in.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 18

I agree that a nice box makes a big impression.  I buy my boxes in bulk (100 at a time) but I offer them for sale to other bakers who don't want to buy so much or pay the high prices for bakery boxes at the craft store.  Do you know a baker that would sell some of their stock in your area?  If not, BRP and Bake a Box are two box companies that offer smaller quantities.  Of course, the more you purchase, the less they cost per box.  Keep in mind, you need to figure that cost into your product just like you would your ingredients.

3D-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3D-Sweets Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 18

I have only purchased moving boxes locally. However, I can't say enough nice things about BRP. I met them this weekend at CookieCon, and they are delightful and so focused on customer service. I know they'll help you if you call them!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 18

AI just have to say that even though I have 4 kids and know the diaper box is clean, and I was a non-professional for more years than I have been professional, I would be mad if someone showed up with food in a diaper box! I even order my own birthday cakes from other decorators, and if I had one in a diaper box, or no box at all, and carried in in just the bakers hands, I would totally be thinking WTH?? I may not say anything, but I would not be back!

AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I would be mad if someone showed up with food in a diaper box!thumbs_up.gif I even order my own birthday cakes from other decorators, and if I had one in a diaper box, or no box at all, and carried in in just the bakers handsicon_rolleyes.gif, I would totally be thinking WTH?? I may not say anything, but I would not be back!

Diaper box=gross. Cake on a drum carried with gloved hands 4 feet from the box it was in=perfectly fine. I'm not messing with banging a box into a door frame/furniture/shoulder of hovering people. Been there, done that! Pretty nit picky if you ask me.

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 18

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Diaper box=gross. Cake on a drum carried with gloved hands 4 feet from the box it was in=perfectly fine. I'm not messing with banging a box into a door frame/furniture/shoulder of hovering people. Been there, done that! [B]Pretty nit picky if you ask me.[/B]

I don't recall asking, but so thanks so much, for telling!

To clarify a bit, I do think it depends in the cake a bit. I wedding cake or other tiered cake is fine, but a sheet cake or other small cake really needs one. Why? IDK! Maybe because it is generally on the floor, and it helps to keep dust off of it? But a huge wedding cake or big 3d that doesn't have a box readily available to buy, is understandable, plus, I like being able to see it when I drive.

AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 18

Oh you don't have to ask, I'll give my opinion regardless. icon_wink.gif And yeah, if I made sheetcakes or small cakes they'd be boxed (all the way to the customer's hand). So who puts cakes on the floor, or did I miss something?

AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

But a huge wedding cake or big 3d that doesn't have a box readily available to buy, is understandable, plus, I like being able to see it when I drive.

And that too. 

AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 18

Oh gawd, and speaking of cakes on the floor, there's someone here who actually puts her cakes on the floor to take pictures. True story. You can see the dirty tile grout and baseboards of the wall behind the cake. Now THAT is something that would fluff my feathers! Where is that puking emoticon?

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 18

A

Diaper box=gross. Cake on a drum carried with gloved hands 4 feet from the box it was in=perfectly fine. I'm not messing with banging a box into a door frame/furniture/shoulder of hovering people. Been there, done that! Pretty nit picky if you ask me.

And I NEVER wear gloves. It is fine for the salad bar attendant, but if you drive with your gloves on, 1. They are filthy anyway 2. You look like a professional murderer. 3. If you drive there, then put gloves on, people will wonder if you are a.) afraid of the cake b.) afraid you will contaminate the cake with your disease.

Ky has the health department restriction that if you are touching food ready to eat, wear gloves. If you are touching food that has to be heated past 170° F, no gloves necessary. When preparing foods that gloves in get in the way of, that don't have to be heated, like fondant figures, double washing and using a nail brush is acceptable.

AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 18

Yeah, gloves go on out of the box after I open the side door, that would look a little freaky driving down the street and would completely ruin the purpose of the gloves in the first place. I wouldn't assume people think you're nuts with gloves on, I would think they would be appreciative, if they thought anything at all. Anyways.......marvel at this. Cakes blacked out to protect the innocent. (Again, where is that barfing emoticon???) Had to edit cause link wouldn't work.

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 18

A

Yeah, gloves go on out of the box after I open the side door, that would look a little freaky driving down the street and would completely ruin the purpose of the gloves in the first place. I wouldn't assume people think you're nuts with gloves on, I would think they would be appreciative, if they thought anything at all. Anyways.......marvel at this. Cakes blacked out to protect the innocent. (Again, where is that barfing emoticon???) Had to edit cause link wouldn't work.

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2849344/][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2849344/width/350/height/700/flags/LL[/IMG][/URL]

WTH??? I wonder if they are posted on Facebook like that? But I have that same grout, lol, and I can't stand it. I would never photo a cake sitting on it! In fact, if I take a pic of something in the kitchen, I cut it off at the base of the counter ;-)

Perhaps someone complained of pictures with messy backgrounds, flour bags, dirty counters and powdered sugar mess everywhere, and it was faster to just rub the mop across the floor real quick, and plop the cake down?

And I put my cakes on the floor board of my van, and recommend that my customers transport them on the floor too. I generally put a fresh, good towel, or a scrap of carpet that is from my wedding show booth. But most people just plop the box on their floor board, when they pick it up.

AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 5:34pm
post #15 of 18

Nice huh?

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 18

cake on the FLOOR!!!

Well my cake that I took was for a good friend...so she didnt care, but I would never deliver a cake like that to a paying customer! It was a favor cake for her. Thanks for the info ladies....

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 9:21pm
post #17 of 18

A

Original message sent by 2txmedics

cake on the FLOOR!!!

Well my cake that I took was for a good friend...so she didnt care, but I would never deliver a cake like that to a paying customer! It was a favor cake for her. Thanks for the info ladies....

Haha! Whew!! Good to know!

cakegal1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal1976 Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 1:57am
post #18 of 18

I spread a clean sheet on my floor board.  My mother who catered for years always did this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%