Vibrant Colored Buttercream

Decorating By Mish22 Updated 19 Sep 2005 , 4:16pm by barbara-ann

Mish22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mish22 Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Again!

I have another question on coloring buttercream icing. I am taking the beginning Wilton course & I colored my 5 individual colors last night for class tonight. I am not happy with the "vibrancy" of them. I used the Wilton colors and kept adding color but they turned out to be a couple of shades lighter than I really wanted and the icing looks "dull" icon_confused.gif . Did I do something wrong? They just don't look nice & "colorful".

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how I can fix it?

Thanks so much!!! I appreciate your help & ideas!!!

Michelle icon_smile.gif

8 replies
unforgetable2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unforgetable2u Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 9

actually I have the same problem and from what I have read here on the forum most of the ladies use Americolors.. I guess it takes less to make the colors and they are more bright and pronounced.

dolphinhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinhunt Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 9

My colors are also dull. Where can you get americolors?

unforgetable2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unforgetable2u Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 9

here is the web site

http://www.americolorcorp.com/

hope this helps icon_wink.gif

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 9

In the book The Whimsical Bakehouse, the authors recommend using candy colors for more vibrant buttercream color.

dolphinhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinhunt Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 9

thanks for the info

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 9

If you use milk in place of water in your icing..that will help deepen the colors. Also, Americolor sells a line of colors called "Electric" ( such as Electric Blue, Electric Orange etc.). Talk about vibrant colors!!!!

TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 9

If you're looking for neon colors, I've heard someone using the butter flavored Crisco (if you use the shortening based icing) and her colors turned out to be neon. Now, that's bright! icon_cool.gif

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 9

I found that wilton colors seem very dull, so I switched to the americolors and they are great. Not only do you use just a few drops, but they are not dull looking like wiltons. I got mine from a cake decorating shop(not Michael's or Hobby Lobby). I don't think I will go back to the wilton colors after using the americolors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%