First Wedding Cake - Needing Help From The Pros.

Decorating By kblickster Updated 6 Nov 2012 , 3:37pm by leah_s

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing my first wedding cake for a May wedding.  The bride provided a picture of the cake she wants and it is a 4 tier cake with 12,10,8 and 6 inch tiers, serving 130.  Her guest list is 120.  I can't post a picture of it but it is all buttercream.  Bottom or 1st tier is Rosettes, second tier plain with a ribbon, third tier Rosettes, and top tier is quilted with dragees in the intersections.  All tiers are something I have done before as single cakes but I have never stacked them.  I have experience stacking up to 3 layers, but those cakes were done in fondant. 

How do I stack buttercream cakes (especially the Rosettes) without messing them up.  Do I stack them and then do the Rosettes?  If so, how do I transport the cake.  Should I pipe the Rosettes onsite?  I can and will practice on dummies, but thought I would ask to see if someone already has experience with this.

2 replies
kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 3

Ok - Answering my own question.  I think after reading some previously asked questions that I should stack the cake on site.  My plan is to not put the rosettes on the tops of the cakes until my layers are stacked.  I can fix fingerprints or holes in plain buttercream, but the rosettes would be difficult to repair.  I normally make rosette cakes with noncrusting buttercream because I like the taste better, but I will make this one with a crusting buttercream. 

Still going to do this with dummy cakes to make sure my plan works.

Thanks to all of you who have gone before me.  Awesome site.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 3

SPS is your answer for stacking/support

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%