Has Anyone Ever Made A Vanilla Cake With Blueberry Filling Under Fondant?

Baking By goldy257 Updated 7 Nov 2012 , 3:33am by BakingIrene

goldy257 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldy257 Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 2:13am
post #1 of 5

i was just asked to make a vanilla cake with blueberry filling. has anyone ever done this? anything I need to keep in mind when it comes to covering the cake in fondant or keeping it fresh while I decorate it?

Thanks!
Katie

4 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 2:22am
post #2 of 5

AI work with SMBC so the cake is kept chilled while not working on it. I've used berries before and it works fine. The time it's out while you're decorating isn't going to hurt it.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 5

Make a precooked blueberry filling thickened with cornstarch, but add more cornstarch to get the filling to stiffen a little more.  Cool it to room temperature before adding it onto the cake.  Use a buttercream dam the same size as the berries,  and chill right after you stack (even before the crumb coat).

goldy257 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldy257 Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 5

Irene- Thank you- what is a crumb coat and buttercream dam? sorry im new to this but appreciate all of the help! after i cover it in fondant can it stay out for a day while i decorate and ship?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 3:33am
post #5 of 5

When you assemble a cake, you fill it.  Then you apply a very thin layer of soft buttercream to set all the crumbs. This then sits until it has crusted, or you chill for 15 minutes.  That's the crumb coat.  It prevents cake crumbs from getting into your final buttercream coat.

Filling with a dam: take a disposable icing bag of buttercream (no tip) and pipe a border around the cake just inside the top edge.  Add the filling inside that.  Put the second cake on and press lightly to stick the layers together.  If your filling is softish, chill the whole thing until the dam is hard.  Then crumb coat, etc.

Sorry--I'm not going to comment on covering a cake with fondant because I only use fondant on fruitcakes.  Lots of other good advice on cake central for fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%