Which Michelle Foster's Fondant?

Decorating By vgcea Updated 5 Nov 2012 , 7:59pm by vgcea

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 7:45am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone. There are 3 recipes floating around here. Some old threads from (2009-2011) have discussed the different recipes. I'd like to know what the consensus is now, which of these recipes works best?

Just did a cake, and everything was fine until it was time to cover the cake with fondant. Talk about a frustrating experience. Even my bucket of emergency Satin Ice failed that night as it was tearing and elephant skin galore. And I tried different batches in so many ways, one rolled with PS (elephant skin & tearing), one with shortening ( too stretchy and tearing), finally managed to get on a mixture of Satin Ice and a scratch-made fondant using cornstarch. Still had elephant skin but it was the best I could get that night.

I just need a great-tasting fondant, preferably scratch, that I can roll very thin with CONSISTENT results. I'm tired of Russian "Rouletting" every cake come fondant time.

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 8:19am
post #2 of 10

The one with 2 tbsp for the measurements. Don't be afraid to knead more PS into it the next day after it rests if it's too soft for your liking.

vgcea Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 8:22am
post #3 of 10

Thanks AZCouture. The 2 Tbs one is the one I tried and it was relatively soft. 

AZCouture Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 9:45am
post #4 of 10

Yeah, just add more ps, should do the trick. I know I used to have to add a LOT more than the recipe called for.

javajammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
javajammer Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 10

What's your preference of fondant? You have beautiful cakes.

javajammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
javajammer Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 10

AZCouture- What's your preference of fondant? You do beautiful work

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 10

Recently, I made three batches of the MFF (2 Tbs version), in sequence, because I was doing a large wedding cake. (I settled on this recipe as the best made-from-scratch fondant a couple of years ago and it is my standard.)

I noticed that each of the three batches seemed to have a different level of "stiffness," even though I made them on the same day, same exact recipe, etc. I decided that I'd probably kind of blend them together when I used them. In the end, I used them just as they were wrapped in single batches. All performed beautifully and equally well. Even covering a larger 16" layer worked like a dream.

During our hot, humid summer months I purposely add about 1/2 cup extra powdered sugar per batch to stiffen the fondant up a little.

vgcea Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks again AZCouture and ycknits. It looks like the PS was my problem then because I tried to stick with the 3.5lb PS called for in the recipe.

AZCouture Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 10

I would use 4 lbs at the least, and then some for kneading. 

vgcea Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 10

thumbs_up.gif Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%