Friday Night Cake Club For 11/2/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 3 Nov 2012 , 7:51am by Chellescakes

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 1:25am
post #1 of 12

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's Up? Whatcha' workin on?

Cat

11 replies
catlharper Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 1:30am
post #2 of 12

Hi there,

This past weekend was our 25th Wedding Anniversary party which was just wonderful. You can see all the photos on my blog: thecherryontopevents.blogspot.com which is our party blog. It went even better than we had expected, had a simply wonderful time! After that we ran off to Reno for a couple of days, got to see the Giants stomp the Tigers like actual adults, in a Sports Bar with chicken wings and beers! LOL!  We also went to the auto museum there which was really cool, out to the movies...together...and out to a romantic dinner at a tropical themed place in the Nugget. 

Then we got home, my  husband got a cold and promptly passed it to the rest of us. UGH. I made it through Halloween before getting sick but he's been down for 2 days now. And me? Living on drugs. Double Ugh. Fortunately, being our Anniversary week, I didn't book anything this week so I have till Monday before I have to start on the next cake. Hopefully the crud will be gone by then.

Hope everyone had as great of a weekend as I did and has lots of new cakes to share!

Cat

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 1:49am
post #3 of 12

A very happy anniversary to you! What a bummer that you're both sick!

I just finished revamping my website in time for it to be published on one of our local news sites! The video will air Sunday night. I'm still working on a couple of things for the website, but when I realized the article was posted today I wanted to get it launched sooner than planned. I'm still tweaking my logo and working on my pictures. 

http://www.coloradoconnection.com/news/story.aspx?id=820852

catlharper Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 1:53am
post #4 of 12

Awesome article for your business! Too cool! 

Cat

Elcee Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 1:55am
post #5 of 12

Cat, I just checked out your blog. Fabulous party!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 3:10am
post #6 of 12

Evening Ladies!

Happy Anniversary Cat! Hope you feel better soon.

Elcee--Congrats on the nice article.  Hope it boosts your biz.

No cake for me tonight either.  I did a quick cake for Halloween so I could practice/play with my new triple-diamond quilter tool.  Never took a good picture of it before the hubs took it work where the production crew inhaled it in about 15min.

I am in the last stages of planning/panic before starting my cousin's wedding cakes.  I have my task list broken down by day and all the supplies assembled.  Over the weekend I need to make sure my dining room/work space is prepped, all my tools, pans, etc are ready and that I haven't missed anything on my supply list.  I plan to bake/freeze on Mon & Tues. Make fillings & catch up on life Wed. Finish baking on Thurs so I can frost/decorate/assemble on Fri & Sat.  Wedding is Sunday.  I have a 4-tier square BC bride's cake and a 2-tier chocolate peanut butter cup groom's cake to make.  Thankfully, this cousin is NOT a bridezilla.

One looming concern--Long range forecasts call for RAIN on the wedding day.  Any tips, hints, suggestions for delivery?  How do I keep things DRY if it is raining. I will be taking the groom's cake stacked and the bride's cake stacked in 2 parts.  I have SPS pillars & plates for stability and plan to line the back of my van with cushy rubber yoga mats so the cakes won't move.  

Kristy

catlharper Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 3:25am
post #7 of 12

Fortunately I have a cake safe so I don't have to worry about rain on cakes anymore. When I did have to worry tho' we just used two umbrellas...yup, took one person to carry and one to hold the two umbrellas. Not fun but it worked. I, too, do have a wedding cake for next weekend but it's SO much smaller than what you are undergoing...mine will be..well, a piece of cake in comparison so I wish you all the luck in the world and hope to get to see photos of your success!

Cat

Elcee Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 3:28am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798 

Elcee--Congrats on the nice article.  Hope it boosts your biz.

I am in the last stages of planning/panic before starting my cousin's wedding cakes.  I have my task list broken down by day and all the supplies assembled.  Over the weekend I need to make sure my dining room/work space is prepped, all my tools, pans, etc are ready and that I haven't missed anything on my supply list.  I plan to bake/freeze on Mon & Tues. Make fillings & catch up on life Wed. Finish baking on Thurs so I can frost/decorate/assemble on Fri & Sat.  Wedding is Sunday.  I have a 4-tier square BC bride's cake and a 2-tier chocolate peanut butter cup groom's cake to make.  Thankfully, this cousin is NOT a bridezilla.

One looming concern--Long range forecasts call for RAIN on the wedding day.  Any tips, hints, suggestions for delivery?  How do I keep things DRY if it is raining. I will be taking the groom's cake stacked and the bride's cake stacked in 2 parts.  I have SPS pillars & plates for stability and plan to line the back of my van with cushy rubber yoga mats so the cakes won't move.  

Kristy

Thanks, Kristy!

It looks like your timeline/organization is spot on. Enough time to not feel stressed and have some leeway just in case. I've never delivered in the rain but I wonder if new packing/shipping boxes would be good? I use them for cakes too big for a traditional box.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 3:49am
post #9 of 12

Hi Cat and everyone, 

It is Saturday afternoon here in Oz and I have delivered my cake . This week I did a Huge Medieval Castle complete with Maidens , dressed in the costumes the birthday girl and her daughter are wearing to the party and of course a dragon to guard the entrance. I also did two Calculator cakes to farewell My niece's Year 12 maths classes. she has taught  many of them since Year 8 so she made their last classes a fun fair of games and cake .All Nerd themed , she calls herself the Queen of the Nerds and is quite proud to be so. 

You can have a look at the cakes on My Facebook page , I have uploaded the Castle one here but I am finding it difficult navigating the new site , I don't think it is very user friendly. 

https://www.facebook.com/Chellescakecouture

I now have to start on Next weeks cakes , I have a wedding cake going Tuesday , this one has dragons too . Then two more I need finished by Thursday in time for me to Fly to Canberra to deliver one of the cakes and go to the wedding.  

Cat I had the dreaded Lurgy this week too, I took my mum to the Doctor on Thursday and the practice manager took one look at me and asked if I was booked in as well as Mum , when I said No , she said you are now , Nadine hasn't anyone with her at the moment I will send her straight out. 

So Extra doses of Cortisone, Prednisone and antibiotics I am feeling somewhat better , just as well I really didn't have time to go to hospital this week . Having Addison's Disease usually means a hospital trip for a cold or complete bed rest for several days. 

Well I am off to check out everyone's blogs and web pages . 

Happy Caking. 

Chelle 

catlharper Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 4:01am
post #10 of 12

Chelle!!! LOVE the new cake! We are huge Castles and Dragons fans so this hit just the right note with our family! TOO cool! 

On the "not cool" side...Addison's Disease sounds like a really hard thing to deal with for you! A simple cold can land you in the hospital? I bet you are hyper vigilant about germs then. For me a cold is just a cold..take come OCD's and feel badly for a few days and then I'm fine...not anywhere close to what might have to go thru if you catch a bug. Glad to hear that you were able to get some relief with the drugs. 

Can't wait to see your next cake with the dragons!

Cat

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 5:24am
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the ideas Cat & Elcee.

I was thinking about getting big moving boxes from the storage place down the street.  I need to check in with my aunt about WHERE at the location I can bring in the cake.  Hopefully, there is a spot where I can park really close to the reception hall.

I'm hoping that the weather holds clear.  The reception is inside but the ceremony is supposed to be outside. Easier (& prettier) if we get to go with the original plan.

Kristy

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 7:51am
post #12 of 12

Thanks Cat, I loved doing it and when I delivered it the clients were so Lovely and had to have photos of all of us with the cake , and then they gave me an extra fifty dollars to boot. 

I just looked at your party blog and what a lovely celebration you had and all the lovely things that you made. 

Elcee, I love your website and what a great article about you . It is a little bit thrilling when we have a little bit of fame isn't it. icon_smile.gif

Kristy , I use moving boxes when delivering larger cakes , I have delivered quite a few in the rain . 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%