What Would You Do For A Client Who Breaks Their Cake After Collecting?

Business By Crazy-Gray Updated 5 Nov 2012 , 2:33am by vgcea

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 15

I know I know; once they collect it it’s their problem really if they break their cake- if they throw their bag in the car and knock something off, or loose shopping rolls into it etc. etc… but I feel bad and the only two occasions its happened I fix for free, I’m heading to her house after work to replace a GP number 2 cos I bet she sat her bag on the box and broke it… ...of course the phone call wasn't admitting she broke it- it "just broke"....  ...just glad I always make spares…

I’m just curious if anyone charges for this? I know I should technically but I feel like my reputation is more valuable to me than an hour of my time and a gallon of fuel – its still annoying me though! lol

All honest opinions welcome :) 

14 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 15

I hate to repeat my common answer, but it depends.  

I think it is absolutely fair to charge for the replacement pieces.  Perhaps you throw the labor for good will.  I charge $15-30 for gumpaste items.  I think it's fair to charge the same for replacements.

My contract states that repair costs will be billed according to extent of damage & travel time.  I'm a softy.  I probably wouldn't bill.  

I created a lovely Christening cake for my neighbor.  She left her 3 Boxer dogs ALONE with the cake.  She called me in a panic asking me to fix it.  Of course, I did.  It was a rather extensive repair.  I never billed her.  She did bring me flowers...not nearly what it was worth!  

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 15

You said you'd only had it happen twice. Twice out of how many times?  If the ratio is super low then ya, I'd say, just suck it up and fix it for free.  But if it's like 2 out of 10 cakes then you might want to consider charging.  

DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 

If the ratio is super low then ya, I'd say, just suck it up and fix it for free.  But if it's like 2 out of 10 cakes then you might want to consider charging.  

I feel the exact opposite!  If it's a low ratio, you are doing things correctly (Packing well, informing/cautioning clients, assisting placement).  If it's a high ratio, perhaps all the blame doesn't rest on the client.  It's also entirely possible that you have lots of careless, clumsy clients, but it's rather unlikely.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:

You said you'd only had it happen twice. Twice out of how many times?  If the ratio is super low then ya, I'd say, just suck it up and fix it for free.  But if it's like 2 out of 10 cakes then you might want to consider charging.

lol you're right, it's twice in three years, about 100 cakes :) The first time was only 6th-8th cake so I'm pretty sure I was mostly to blame there anyway! This time I am certain it was customer carelessness as I was very careful, dried the GP for 2 weeks and secured it to the cake three days ago before I started the main details so that if it were still soft enough to sag/break easily I'd know about it- then 20 mins after collection (well delivery actually- delivered it on my way to work which is a half hour drive) I get the call- frustrating as I wish I'd made more of a point about being relatively careful with it -humph-

Its only a tiny cost in GP materials to replace so I'll not be charging, maybe I'll take my wife to dinner and give the extra journey second reason.... ...that's a significant cost increase though!! icon_confused.gif

renae43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renae43 Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 15

AWell this is a fine line to me, it depends on the extent of the damage to the cake, however to protect yourself in the future you may want to add this to your service contract if client insisting on pick up their cake, letting them know if they damage their cake it will :)result in additional fees in order to repair the cake. Customer Service is vital to our business but at the same time. Time is money :-)

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

lol you're right, it's twice in three years, about 100 cakes :) The first time was only 6th-8th cake so I'm pretty sure I was mostly to blame there anyway! This time I am certain it was customer carelessness as I was very careful, dried the GP for 2 weeks and secured it to the cake three days ago before I started the main details so that if it were still soft enough to sag/break easily I'd know about it- then 20 mins after collection (well delivery actually- delivered it on my way to work which is a half hour drive) I get the call- frustrating as I wish I'd made more of a point about being relatively careful with it -humph-

Its only a tiny cost in GP materials to replace so I'll not be charging, maybe I'll take my wife to dinner and give the extra journey second reason.... ...that's a significant cost increase though!! icon_confused.gif

@Delicious Desserts:  Haha yeah I kinda thought "well if it is a low ratio it is probably your fault"!  But i was trying not to say that.  The flip side is that you are probably inexperienced in that situation and it's probably also a good reason to help out your customer base by sucking it up and just fixing it too.  So I don't know maybe it's okay.  I think the problem is if people start to take advantage of you but i think for the most part it doesn't happen that often.  

@Crazy Gray:  HELLO!  Going out to dinner to try a new restaurant?? ALWAYS a good reason to make a trip!  ;)  

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

I think it is absolutely fair to charge for the replacement pieces.  Perhaps you throw the labor for good will.  I charge $15-30 for gumpaste items.  I think it's fair to charge the same for replacements.

My contract states that repair costs will be billed according to extent of damage & travel time.  I'm a softy.  I probably wouldn't bill.  

I created a lovely Christening cake for my neighbor.  She left her 3 Boxer dogs ALONE with the cake.  She called me in a panic asking me to fix it.  Of course, I did.  It was a rather extensive repair.  I never billed her.  She did bring me flowers...not nearly what it was worth!  

Thats a perfect fix up. Did the dogs eat/lick that buttercream? I wonder if she told her guests detective.gif

DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 15

AYes! The dogs licked it. She swears she only served from the back side of the cake. It's a wonderful story. It's an even more wonderful example that almost anything can be fixed.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 15

The dog licked it and she served it.
THE DOG LICKED it and SHE  SERVED it.
That's just nasty.

I've seen people let dogs lick them on the mouth, but I bet dollars to doughnuts the guest at the party wouldn't have eaten that cake if they'd have known.
Sorry, but I would have declined fixing it.
Your reputation is on the line. Shudder...

mommachris.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 15

Good save DD.  Nasty that she still served that cake though.  REALLY nasty.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 15

I've had a stressful day and these last few comments have made me laugh out loud icon_lol.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

I haven't read any other posts past this one so, I might be repeating what someone else said, but did I read this correctly?  Her DOGS got into the cake?  I hope you tossed the entire thing and remade it, if not then GROSS!  I wouldn't want to eat a cake that a dog had been eating on! 

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 12:12am
post #14 of 15

That grossed me out too.  Can you imagine?!!! Yuck

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 2:33am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris 

The dog licked it and she served it.
THE DOG LICKED it and SHE  SERVED it.
That's just nasty.

I've seen people let dogs lick them on the mouth, but I bet dollars to doughnuts the guest at the party wouldn't have eaten that cake if they'd have known.
Sorry, but I would have declined fixing it.
Your reputation is on the line. Shudder...

mommachris.

icon_lol.gif Best post EVER! 

SMH, nothing like dog saliva simple syrup to give a cake that extra oomph of moistness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%