Gluten Free Cupcakes?

Baking By Lambys_Delights Updated 30 Oct 2012 , 10:57pm by LoriMc

Lambys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambys_Delights Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I'm hoping someone here can help me icon_smile.gif I'm after some advice on gluten free cupcakes, the person I'm making them for needs them gluten free so I want to have a practice before I make the final ones. Is it just a case of buyin gluten free flour or do I need to substitute other ingredients? Or is it completly different to a basic cupcake recipe?
Really grateful of any advice.
Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 5

Go to www.kingarthurflour.com and click on "recipes" They have a large gluten-free section.

Lambys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambys_Delights Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your reply icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 5

It's a little more complicated than buying GF flour and trying a new recipe. Most publicly available recipes range from mediocre to good, if you want to take it to the next level you'll need to experiment.

You also need to ensure your baking process does not allow for cross-contamination of gluten. This involves checking with the manufacturers of your ingredients to make sure they protect against cross-contamination, never storing anything with gluten above gluten-free products, using only non-porous equipment and surfaces, and waiting 24 hours after flour with gluten has been exposed to the air before working with GF items.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 5

I'm gluten free.  You can pretty much sub a good gluten free flour for regular flour in any good recipe, HOWEVER.....you have to add xanthan gum if you want it to rise.  Once you buy a bottle, it will have instructions on the side for how much you need to add depending on what you are making.  Gluten free things just don't rise as well as wheat based no matter what you do. 

If you buy a AP gluten free mix, it may already come with some type of gum that will make it rise.  (guar gum etc)

Also know, if you buy any gluten free flour that contains bean flour, it will taste like beans.  I like to mix different kinds of gfree flours to get the best end result.  Especially rice flours, tapioca flours...etc.  This is where it gets expensive for non gluten free bakers.  You might consider buying a gluten free cake mix like Pamela's instead.

You also have to be very careful of cross contamination in your kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%