Help With Wedding Cake Flavors

Baking By rydilly Updated 29 Oct 2012 , 5:13am by sweettreat101

rydilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rydilly Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone
I have started doing cakes for some people I know that I get paid for! I really just took classes and did the cakes for my grandchildren and I really enjoy it.
I now have a wedding cake for April and she would like to try some flavors. My problem is I am not sure what flavors and fillings to suggest. I love the WASC cake and I have a great red velvet but have really not done anything with a filling.

Any help, recipes or suggestions would be great. she would like a few to choose from.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 2:55am
post #2 of 5

The *original* WASC recipe will work just fine with *ANY* flavor mix you can get so there is a very wide array of flavors one can make.
When I had my bakery butter pecan and lemon were always favorites. Carrot cake is good except use either a carrot OR spice mix and add at least 1/2 cup fresh grated carrots and a small jar of baby food carrots. I don't put any pineapple or nuts in the cake. I use pineapple jam as filling.
For fall spice cake w/apple filling is great (Use pie filling OR applesauce thickened w/some cornstarch).
Most of the wedding cake orders I got were for rather traditional flavors - white, chocolate, lemon or fr. vanilla.
marble, and a few strawberry.

rydilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rydilly Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5

Wow. they all sound great. Maybe it is best to just stick to the traditional flavors and suggest some fillings.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to try them out on my husband who is loving this cake business!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, there are lots of recipes on this site. There are lots of recipes all over the internet. That is what i do. I google what flavor cake goes good with what flavor filling and icing. Never been dissapointed yet. Also, goole MacsMom recipes on cake central. She has so many different cake recipes along with the filing and icing.It is under gourmet cake flavors on cake central when you google it. hth I love kakeladi's original wasc also.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 5:13am
post #5 of 5

Macmom has wonderful recipes. I saved the entire list. My most requested in Red Velvet with Cream Cheese butter cream, white with a vanilla mousse, chocolate fudge with either a vanilla mousse, white chocolate mousse or banana cream mousse. Most people around here seem to stick with the basics. Be careful using gel fillings as they can tend to shift during delivery. I had a bad experience with a tiered cake and strawberry filling. When I get a request for strawberry I now use a strawberry mousse. I love using mousse fillings as they stay nice and firm and I have never had any problems with bulging or shifting. My wedding cake was three tiers one chocolate, strawberry and white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%