Fudge Buttercream

Baking By kgorhan Updated 3 Nov 2012 , 1:50am by kgorhan

kgorhan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgorhan Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 1:29am
post #1 of 11

I am looking for a good fudgy buttercream recipe. I found this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-fudge-buttercream-frosting/

I may have done it wrong. Added too much milk or something, but it just wasn't the thicker consistency I was looking for. Does anyone know of a good recipe? Something that is thicker and not as smooth as a regular buttercream.

10 replies
buglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buglady Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 1:38am
post #2 of 11

This is what I use;

1 pound powder sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup boiling water
1/3 cup butter
1 teapoon vanilla

combine dry ingredients, add the butter and mix well, add the water and vanilla mix well. It will look thin but it will get thick and fudgy. It has a very good crust also.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 1:46am
post #3 of 11

Hi, if you will google toba garret"s chocolate buttercream recipe. you will love it. She makes ganache and adds at the end. I have a big batch made to use Friday. I don,t use the chocolate liquor. I make it all the time. hth

kgorhan Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 1:54am
post #4 of 11

I'm not concerned if it crusts. I'm using it in between layers of my death by chocolate cake.

kgorhan Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 11

buglady, your recipe is exactly what I was looking for. It is perfect!

icer101, I looked up the toba garret recipe and I am interested in trying it. I just haven't gotten a chance.

Thank you both!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 11

I gave up trying to find the perfect chocolate buttercream and now I just use ganache straight up. It's yummy and rich.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz 

I gave up trying to find the perfect chocolate buttercream and now I just use ganache straight up. It's yummy and rich.

I hear ya, Sillywabbitz.  I've searched for 2 years for a thick, fudgey, buttercream.  I made a fabulous recipe once by accident.  I just threw in a whole bunch of left-over stuff I had on hand and it tasted perfect!  However.......I didn't keep track as I was flinging in this and that, and by the time I tasted it the next day, (AFTER I'd thrown out the trash), I couldn't remember.icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif

After a lot of research, I've determined that the thick, fudgey, frosting you get on bakery cakes uses a commercial product called "Fudge Base".  It does not come in small, hobby-baker-sized quantities.  So, like you, I've just done a default to whipped, dark chocolate ganache for fillings, and non-whipped dark chocolate ganache for "frosting".

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 2:22am
post #8 of 11

Yep. I worked at Baskin Robbins as a kid and I was trying to figure out their fudge frosting they use on their ice cream pies...taste awesome but it is that commercial fudge stuff so I am happy to stick with my 2 ingredient yummy ganache:)

zhengyi23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zhengyi23 Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 4:00am
post #9 of 11

Dear, again in the valentine's day.I don't know how many of you have me to your chocolate, but I see clearly...This year I can send--to reduce weight tea?
http://www.mmomesos.com
[url=http://www.diablo4shop.com]Diablo 3 Gold[/url]
http://www.mmohome.com

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 4:17am
post #10 of 11

Just ganache will work great

kgorhan Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 1:50am
post #11 of 11

Yes ganache is yummy but I wanted something else to put in the center of my cake as I used ganache for the outer coating. So my "death by chocolate" ended up like so: cake, buttercream, cake, mousse, cake buttercream, cake, then all covered with ganache and topped with mini chocolate chips. I sold it for $50.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%