Frozen Cake Turned Slimy

Decorating By -Big-Red- Updated 30 Oct 2012 , 6:19pm by SunshineBaker

-Big-Red- Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Big-Red- Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 11

This is my 5th time at freezing cakes, I was successful before until a client call me today saying the cake I give her Monday is slimy today Wednesday, of course I refunded her money. What did I do wrong, I did wrap with saran wrap well, I did check my cake to see if it was done, I usually wrap my baked cakes while then put them into the freezer while warm, I just think I get a moist cake, didn't want it to slime. Hope you bakers can advice me.

10 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 1:59am
post #2 of 11

How did your customer wrap (or not) and store the cake for 2 days?

-Big-Red- Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 11

I baked my cake ahead of time, then from oven 15 min after I wrap it very well with saran wrap then freeze, I took it out the night before from freezer to my counter top then ice the next day.

jgifford Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 11

I think you misunderstood me - - do you know how the customer kept it for 2 days? Did she wrap it, put it in the fridge, leave it out on the counter, leave it where the dog could slobber on it, . . . ? You have no way of knowing how she stored it and you probably wouldn't get the truth if you asked. Any cake will ruin and get nasty after a while, especially if it's not stored properly.

-Big-Red- Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 11:49am
post #5 of 11

She said she stored it in the fridge unwrap, it was a yellow cake and buttercream icing. I am so disappointed, I don't think I am doing frozen cakes again, it was a good idea for when I'm doing large amounts. I'm wondering when I have more than one fondant cakes what will happen, I like to let my cake set for half of a day then the next day I would buttercream them and let them set for a day or half of a day then I do my fondant.

jgifford Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 11

It sounds like she pulled it out of the fridge and it had condensation on it. If you touch it before it dries, of course it's going to feel slimy. I don't think you did anything wrong - - she did. And after 2 days, I don't feel she had any right to ask for a refund.

Next time, be sure to instruct your customer on how to properly store a cake, and emphasize that if they refrigerate a fondant cake, they must let any condensation dry before they touch it. Don't let this get you down or discourage you - - take it as a learning experience and move foreward.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

It sounds like she pulled it out of the fridge and it had condensation on it. If you touch it before it dries, of course it's going to feel slimy. I don't think you did anything wrong - - she did. And after 2 days, I don't feel she had any right to ask for a refund.

Next time, be sure to instruct your customer on how to properly store a cake, and emphasize that if they refrigerate a fondant cake, they must let any condensation dry before they touch it. Don't let this get you down or discourage you - - take it as a learning experience and move foreward.

+1

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 11

When you are baking larger cakes, you have to measure the flour very carefully because the big cake seems to make any problems bigger.

Maybe you needed another 1/4 cup of flour in this cake? Or maybe another 5 minutes of baking time?

Or maybe your cake was TOO warm when you froze it? I freeze cake all the time but only after it is cool to the touch.

tamimisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamimisha Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 11

I don't think you are supposed to refrigerate anything until it has cooled (dinner leftovers, cake). I've heard that before and also saw an episode of Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsay yelling at someone about doing that because, "IT GOES RANCID!!!" Hehe.

On the other hand, I do agree that you can't guarantee that a cake will be good for X amount of days after the customer has received it. They usually receive a cake the day of the event and not knowing if they left it in the hot sun...expected refrigerated fondant to be dry before coming to room temp...etc...the customer shouldn't get a refund over how the cake looks after being in their possession for two days.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 11

I agree w/jgifford. It has nothing to do with the fact that you froze the cake - you did anything wrong - it was the customer's mishandling of the cake that caused the problem.
If there is anyway you can talk further with the customer I'm sure you will find that it was indeed the fact that they served the cake cold right out of the frig.
A non-cake person could easily call condensation slimy.
As someone else said, be sure in the future to give customers instructions how to store cakes.

SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 11

I agree with all the others.  I freeze my cakes all the time and they are delicious.  I laugh to myself when I read that bakeries "never freeze" their cakes, as if that were a sin.  However, I do let my cakes cool completely before wrapping them and freezing them.  I would not let this one customer prevent you from freezing cakes again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%