How Long Until Things Go Smoothly?

Decorating By LizzieAylett Updated 1 Nov 2012 , 4:51am by SugarQueenie

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 11:38am
post #1 of 13

I'm just getting rather discouraged - it seems that no matter what I try to do, there's always something about the project that doesn't work out and I have to scrabble to work out a solution. Nothing major, just (for example) things like the consistency of the fondant being off, or making a mark in the buttercream when transferring cakes, etc. I'm just a hobby baker, so only doing about a cake a week or so. Can anyone share their experiences on how long it takes until (if ever) you get to the stage where you know it will all just work? Needing a bit of encouragement at the moment.

Thanks,
Lizzie

12 replies
cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 13

I've been doing cakes for 25+ years, and don't think I have ever had one come out perfect from start to finish. You just have to know that you can repair almost everything that goes wrong, and not to sweat the small stuff.
We see "perfect" cakes here on CC, but every cake has a backside, and they don't always tell you how many times they had to redo this or that, or stuck their fingernail in the side of the cake
( I am always doing that!).
The point is we all strive for perfection, but it doesn't really exist. We are our own worst critics, and we know all the flaws in our cakes, and could point them out, but we don't because where we see flaws, others see perfection. Give yourself a break, and like I said, don't sweat the small stuff. HTH. Keep on caking!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 10:53am
post #3 of 13

Thank you. I'll try not to let it get to me icon_smile.gif

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 11:06am
post #4 of 13

cakemaker2 you said that very well. I should post this to my computer as wall paper for motivation for when I have those moments!!! (For instance being up to 3 am on a Saturday morning trying (and re-trying to dowel a 3 tier cake that just didn't want to sit right)!!! Sometimes I look at these beautiful cakes on the net (and cake central) and think 'What the hell am I doing??? I'm way out of my depth!!!

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 13

Every time I make a mistake and say to myself well I learned something and will not do this again. Some things I do not repeat, others I repeat. Grrrrrr! I really want to go into a zone where I do not spend two hours on a 30 minute job. Coz half the time I realise of a shorter way of doing something better when I am almost done! And the pocking cake on the other side when handling, almost always!!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 13

I always maintain that 90 percent of cake decorating is knowing how to cover up the stuff ups .
The ability to think on your feet and still get a cake out is a skill to be proud of.

( says she that just had to put two cakes in the oven to replace the one she just baked and thought was cooked only to turn it out of the tin and have it explode cause it was still raw in the centre )
I actually think the universe was telling me that I should have made a scratch cake first up as I suck at packet mixed .

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 13

Such is the case in other art forms as well:

They say that "Writing is Rewriting." Where you spend 90% of your time editing/rewriting your original work. Reminds me of fixing & repairing & troubleshooting your cake.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 13

Ah, yes - - my favorite cake decorating rule: if you can't fix it or cover it up, make the most of it. It has led to some of my best cakes. thumbs_up.gif

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 13

I love that quote, jgifford! I'm gonna remember that. Thank you!
Cheers,
-j

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 13

There are times when I want to offer discount and hubby tells me not to unless customer asks. I get praises! Talk about being our worst critics!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 13

My husband now laughs at me. He says there is a cycle. I start off loving the cake, then I get a bit anxious, then I get a bit overwhelmed, then if something goes wrong I get frustrated. Finally, I fix it or figure it out & end up loving it!

I don't think that ever changes.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 12:43am
post #12 of 13

Buttercream is the most forgiving substance ever...smoosh, moosh...re-apply. I love it! I agree, looking at the cakes on this site I feel like mine will never be perfect!

SugarQueenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarQueenie Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 4:51am
post #13 of 13

AWhat a great, motivational thread! I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally feels discouraged.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%