Would Love To Hear Your Thoughts On Event

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 22 Oct 2012 , 8:07pm by mommachris

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 12:14am
post #1 of 6

I have a very small baking business, and have been asked if I want to take part in big event for ladies that is held in my town. I live in a small town, but the event usually attracts about 400 people a year, which is great exposure for me. Essentially, women set up tables and sell crafts, beauty products, etc to people who come and pay admission to get in. There will be free dainites available to shoppers as well. I would love to take part, but am not sure how to approach it. I'm thinking that b/c there are free dainites for everyone, I can't see people buying cupcakes or cookies from me. So I was wondering if I should use the exposure more to my advantage, and maybe create a sweet table featuring samples of my baking for people to try, and then have a list of products that will be available for Christmas (cookie packages and dainty trays) and then take orders for those? I would also have a lookbook for people to see featuring my work. I would love to hear some opinions as to what I should do!

5 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 2:48am
post #2 of 6

Need more info. What is the vendor's fee for a table? Can you be more specific about "dainties"? Are other bakery vendors attending?

puddles_gal Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 6

The fee for a table is $35, and each vendor is asked to bring a couple dozen dainties (assorted baking items) for the shoppers to enjoy. To my knowledge, there will be no other baking vendors in attendance.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 6

I'd pass on it. I did a similar event last year. Invested over $100 on table decor, packaging, and made dozens of truffles. Cost me $35 for my table and I didn't even break even. I ended up blessing all my friends with free goodies on the way home from this very frustrating day.
People came, they grazed, they looked and left for the most part empty handed.
The only people that bought from me were the other vendors.
Left a bad taste in my mouth.
Just got the reminder in my e-mail to "sign up for this wonderful money-making opportunity" as it is rapidly approaching.
NO thanks.

mommachris.

puddles_gal Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

I'm curious as to what sort of items you had available to sell? Like I mentioned, I can't see people buying goodies from me when there will be free ones there, but I'm wondering if it would be a good way to get people to order for christmas?

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 6

I was selling cake truffles( balls) and other chocolate dipped and gift wrapped goodies. The packaging was smart, looked very upscale with a variety of prices....from one cake pop for $1 to a $20 packed dozen. All the money ( minus cost) was for my daughter's trip to Brazil. She was going there for a mission's trip.
It just wasn't worth all the effort. I lost money and heart. From now on I'll be making my candies for pre-order only.

momma chris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%