Lumpy Batter

Baking By LoveonCloudCupcake Updated 21 Oct 2012 , 2:57pm by ptanyer

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 6

I usually use a cake mix as my base, but everytime i mix it in my stand mixer it stays lumpy. i have to go through with a spatual pressing the batter against the bowl wall to try and break up my batter. Will Sifting the mix before hand help with this problem. Its so annoying to scoop out batter and still see unmixed lumps.

5 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 6

I always sift my cakes mixes.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 6

I know that some brands are worse than others. I've not had a lot of problems with Duncan Hines though. Or sifting will solve the issue as well.

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 6

I think Pilsbury is the worst. Thanks you all.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 6

Before I buy a cake mix, I shake it. If it's particularly lumpy you can hear the lumps hitting the box! I don't buy that one. Also, I have dumped the mix in the bowl and used a whisk to go through it a few times and that seems to break up any lumps that would be hard enough to stand up against the mixer. Lots easier and quicker than sifting.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 6

And if by chance you still end up with lumpy batter after all the tips listed above, then run your batter through a sieve ( colander or strainer). Then mash up all the lumps you collected and mix with a little bit of batter and repeat until you have all the lumps out. Then stir the batter all together again and your batter will be smooth and lump free. It can be a little time consuming, but I prefer to do that rather than waste the batter and starting all over.

Hope that helps!

Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%