Transporting Wired Gumpaste Flowers?

Decorating By Juds2323 Updated 19 Oct 2012 , 3:43pm by FromScratchSF

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 3:35am
post #1 of 5

What is the best way to transport wired gumpaste flowers. I am doing my long time friends wedding cake (her 3rd marriage) and have made gumpaste flowers. I will assemble the cake onsite as it's 1 1/2 hours away and I'm nervous to transport a 3 tier cake for that distance assembled. How do I get the flowers etc there with minimal breakage. They are gerbera daisies and fall leave.

Thanks in advance.

Judi

4 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 5:58am
post #2 of 5

I transported gumpaste flowers in cake boxes. I lined each box with loads of paper towel, kind of lightly scrunched up, to provide a soft but supportive base for the flowers and laid them on that. I didn't layer up the flowers, just one layer per box. I made a load of spare flowers just in case but didn't end up needing them.

Hope that helps a bit!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 6:49am
post #3 of 5

Cake box filled with poly fill (pillow stuffing).

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 5

Better to transport the cake in three separate tiers and assemble onsite.

The flowers will do fine in a single layer on paper towel or any other padding you have handy. Because they are on wires, you could even poke holes in a deep cardboard box and stick the wires in.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 5

Meh, I'd put the whole thing together with flowers and then transport, but I guess it's what you are comfy with. I've done 5 tiers assembled, decorated and with a full cascade of sugar peonies (which are heavy) then transported over an hour away and had zero problems or breakage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%