What Happenned To My Glace Icing

Baking By tdovewings Updated 19 Oct 2012 , 12:54pm by BakingIrene

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 8

THis is the first time I've done sugar cookies. It was just for fun but the results were quite disturbing (I made them for my kids to decorate, but I decided to decorate some on my own after they went to bed). I used Toba Garret's recipe for glace icing, for flavoring I used 3 drops of lorann oil butter flavor and 1/2 tsp of almond extract.

At first the icing was nice and shiny, one color, smooth. After it dried, it got blotchy, discolorations and splotches? Anyone experience this? They are pictured here.

Could it be the flavorings? I usually use royal icing when decorating cookies, but I decided to try this recipe for the first time.

1lb of 10X sugar
3 fl oz water
3 fl oz corn syrup
americolor gels
LL

7 replies
tdovewings Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 12:01am
post #2 of 8

I meant the first time decorating sugar cookies without royal icing

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 12:04am
post #3 of 8

Is this the first time you used Lorann oil?

Otherwise the recipe is OK. You don;t say if you warmed the icing a little bit. If you warm it to pour, use less water until it is at 40C and then add water only if necessary.

Sorry I don't have any other ideas.

tdovewings Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 12:17am
post #4 of 8

Yes, this is the first time i've used lorann oils for cookie icing. I use them for buttercream and vegan white chocolate chips all the time. No I did not warm it. Does it work better when warmed? I typically warm the icing I use for petit fours, but it does have less water.

BakingIrene Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 2:25am
post #5 of 8

It probably was the oil. Sorry.

Those oils make fabulous cake flavouring and they are good in buttercream. But your glaze will taste very good with a combination of vanilla and almond extracts or almond and rum.

Get hold of Boyajians extracts (rum, maple, strawberry, raspberry) that mix well with glazes. They are all-natural and they taste better than anything else on the market.

I like the warm glaze because it sets a little shinier.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 11:44am
post #6 of 8

There are some posts on here somewhere (I don't remember exactly where) addressing this. I believe they say add white food coloring or something to the glace to keep it from blotching. Sorry if I don't remember exactly right, it has been awhile.

tdovewings Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 8

thanks! I'm going to do a couple more experiments based on the guidance give by bakingirene and tazmycat. I'l try one without oil and just extracts and then addig the white coloring.

Thank for taking the time to respond.

BakingIrene Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 8

The white food colour acts sort of like whiteout--it forms an opaque layer under the surface of the icing. Maybe split your icing and see if just-extract works OK. If you had no trouble before the Lorann oil, then you won't really need the white colour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%