How To Make Minnie Mouse Cupcake Decoration And Store Them

Baking By fondantNewbie2807 Updated 18 Oct 2012 , 7:57pm by Dani1081

fondantNewbie2807 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantNewbie2807 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

i am a total newbie here and have never baked or used fondant in my life icon_sad.gif i ordered cupcakes for my daughter's minnie themed birthday party and wanted to do something like this http://mummy-who-bakes.blogspot.com/2011/02/mickey-minnie-mouse-cupcakes.html but my baker was charging me $2 extra per cupcake for decoration so i decided to do it on my own icon_smile.gif

i already bought wilton rolled fondant http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=0D29562C-475A-BAC0-581E4AAB1E2C39BC&fid=D754B4CF-1E0B-C910-EA29021B1DD46BB7 i am planning to make bows this weekend and use them 3 weeks later.

how should i store them? i live in southern california and it's hot during days and cooler during nights

i will be getting cupcakes at night around 9pm before my daughter's birthday and her birthday start next day at 11 am. when and how should i put fondant bows on the cupcake? how long will they stay before they start looking sloppy? any tips and techniques?

Please help me out here...i really don't want to spend $80 just for minnie decorations.

thanks in advance.

6 replies
fondantNewbie2807 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 7

really 22 views and no answer icon_sad.gif can somebody plzzzz help?

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 7

I am no expert on this but you can store them in a cardboard box with a lid laying on parchment paper. Just make sure they can breath or them will sweat. You can pretty much keep them months like this. I would put them on the cupcakes the morning of the party for them to look their freshest. Someone else may have more input.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 7

Agree with the previous post. Leave them to dry open, covered loosely, or in a half closed box. Don't put them in anything airtight.

If the cupcakes have buttercream frosting on them, you can put the decorations on them on Fri night itself when you get the cupcakes. HTH!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 7

fondant decorations should be stored in the dark at room temperature.

Do not put them in sealed plastic containers or on cookie sheets open to the light.

As another poster said, put them in a cardboard box to keep out the light. Don't secure the top closed tight. Air is your friend and light is your enemy.

If you are in a really humid place you can put a small sachel of rice or a desicant pellet i n the box. I have never needed this, but some people do it.

fondantNewbie2807 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 7

thanks a ton everyone. i really apriciate it icon_smile.gif

so this is what i am going to do...make my bows this weekend, put them in a shoe box without lid and let them dry in open air in a cool dark place for 2 days. then i will cover the shoe box and put it in dry cool place. does this procedure sounds correct?

yes, cupcakes have buttercream frosting. can i put my bows on it a night before and then put cupcakes in refrigerator and take it out next morning? or should i do it that morning itself.

thanks again.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, you can put your fondant bows on the cupcakes the night before, put them in the fridge and they will be fine for the party the next morning. No problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%