Attaching Big Flowers How-To

Decorating By zouzoula Updated 21 Oct 2012 , 9:39am by zouzoula

zouzoula Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zouzoula Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 9:14am
post #1 of 10

Hi bakers!
I'm new to cake decorating and to CC so maybe this has already been answered.
My problem is how to securely fix big flowers like roses or peonies on top and especially walls of wedding cakes. Do I insert a toothpick or sth and just stick it in the cake? I read somewhere on CC that wire is not really food safe. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot

9 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 9:45am
post #2 of 10

For large flowers I use toothpicks and fondant glue to stick flowers to the side of cakes. For flowers to be on top of the cake, I just use fondant glue...no toothpicks. I've found this is what works best for me! icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 10:04am
post #3 of 10

Cocktail sticks, and melted white chocolate icon_wink.gif

zouzoula Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 10:33am
post #4 of 10

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR IMMEDIATE ANSWER!
I JUST LOVE THIS COMMUNITY icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 10:39am
post #5 of 10

As I wire most of my flowers , I use a large drinking straw filled with some fondant or Royal.This also makes them easy to remove when it comes to cutting and Most of my brides like to keep the flowers I do. I really do not like to use toothpicks as if they are accidently ingested they will not show up on an xray and can cause a lot of damage or even death.

zouzoula Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you Chellescakes. You just touched upon a possible nightmare that hadn't occured to me. So let me see if I understand your method. You wire the flower as usual then fill a straw with RI or fondant insert the wire in that and then somehow poke the cake with straw so that the wire doesn't touch the cake and it's big enough for anyone to swallow by accident. I suppose the part of the straw you use is quite short right? Very clever and once again thank you

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 10

Yes you cut the straw to size , I always insert them at a downward angle as well if I am putting a flower on the side of a cake .

zouzoula Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 4:32am
post #8 of 10

thanks that's great help icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 7:41am
post #9 of 10

Another method I've seen (although I haven't used myself yet) is to roll a long sausage of fondant and glue that to the side of your cake in a line where you want your flowers to go. You can then stick your flowers into the fondant sausage without anything going into your actual cake.

zouzoula Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 9:39am
post #10 of 10

Love this idea!!! I'll try it at tha first cahnce i get and give you feedback.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%