Business Start Up

Business By youniquetreats Updated 31 Oct 2012 , 6:56pm by youniquetreats

youniquetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youniquetreats Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all! I am located in the central Florida area. Im currently sellling baked goods from my home under the Florida cottage law. Im looking to begin selling my products @ vendor events,.as well as small and large events. Ive been doong research on this And have had no luck, or the information is too complicated to understand. If anyone can give me some direction om the necessary steps i should take to move forward I would greatly appreciate it!

5 replies
mydearbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydearbakes Posted 20 Oct 2012 , 3:56am
post #2 of 6

Hi yourunique treats,

I'm very new in this too so perhaps we can help one another icon_wink.gif

I shared this little article which i found online on my Facebook, for starters, I say the article is quite useful since it is simple and practical ^^

http://www.get-small-business-ideas.com/start-a-cake-decorating-business.html

Hope if helps! =)

cliriano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cliriano Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 6

What info are you looking for? You can sell your treats from home under the cottage food law at the events. The events/venues may ask you to complete a waiver (to supply actual food) if you are not licensed or permitted in a physical space outside of home.

I got a table at a cake show AND distributed samples and I never even signed the waiver. Some may ask you about insurance or you may have to sign something regarding liability. I suspect that each event/venue has different rules. Mostly, they want to be clear of liability if your food makes someone sick.

But from my understanding, in FL. you are able to create your goods at home (if they are baked goods) and sell them at a venue as long as you follow the rules including being under the $18k/yr cap, etc.

Another thing I did was pay sales tax. If you are running any business, you should get your sales certificate and pay taxes. I think that is required no matter where you are making the goods.

In the end, it will end up helping me as I am eligible for programs since it legitimized my business.

I am currently opening up a shop and meeting with folks about requirements etc after selling from home before and after the cottage food law in FL. I met with our county Small Business people to ask about opening my shop. I supply cupcakes to a local restaurant and they are going to let me use their kitchen while I finish building out mine. I was told that under the cottage food act, I can make my cupcakes at home and give them out at the shop but I cannot make them at the restaurant and give them at the shop until I get my permitting. So it looks like the cottage food act gives you some wiggle room. I am still investigating but that is what our food services expert told me. You can check with your county small business office, they usually have food counselors that can help you with this.

Let me know if there is anything else that I might know about. It is very hard to get info on this stuff icon_smile.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 6

The same board of health agent that gave you your CFL should be able to answer your questions. They license everyone for food. Good luck!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 21 Oct 2012 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 6

" Another thing I did was pay sales tax. If you are running any business, you should get your sales certificate and pay taxes. I think that is required no matter where you are making the goods.

In the end, it will end up helping me as I am eligible for programs since it legitimized my business.

I am currently opening up a shop and meeting with folks about requirements etc after selling from home before and after the cottage food law in FL. I met with our county Small Business people to ask about opening my shop. I supply cupcakes to a local restaurant and they are going to let me use their kitchen while I finish building out mine. I was told that under the cottage food act, I can make my cupcakes at home and give them out at the shop but I cannot make them at the restaurant and give them at the shop until I get my permitting. So it looks like the cottage food act gives you some wiggle room. I am still investigating but that is what our food services expert told me. You can check with your county small business office, they usually have food counselors that can help you with this."

If your goods are not consumed within your place (i.e. your home) then you do not have to charge sales tax in Fl, only if they are eaten where you are located.

You can NOT sell wholesale to a business as that is forbidden in the Fl Cottage Food Act. If you bake out of their kitchen then you will have to go through the Division of Hospitality and Restaurants to get a license to do so. Since there is another business there it will be inspected and if all is passed then you will receive your own license with their address on it. It will probably be a caterer's license. Don't let them tell you Hospitality and Restaurants will not do anything as the Dept. of Agriculture, which normally licenses bakeries, won't touch this as it does not fall under their realm.
I know, I went through months of trying to get a license. You will also have to take the Food Handlers test and pass it to get your license, or for it to be valid. You may want to get insurance also, I have mine through The Travelers and only pay 265.00 a year for 1 million worth of ins in case anyone gets ill. It is sooo worth it if you do not get an LLC for your company as everything you owns can be included in the suit, with the LLC they can not come after your equipment and home. HTH you.

youniquetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youniquetreats Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 6

AThanks for all your responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%