How To Get Fondant Band Straight On Middle Side Of Cake?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 18 Oct 2012 , 12:22pm by shannycakers

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 11

I had a wedding cake order with a thick woodgrain fondant band around the middle of each tier, I could not get it even around, i googled and search and could not figure it out. I see some say a laser level and some say pin pricks but i dont understand how that will still get a fondant band completely straight around the middle of the tier? Any help would be wonderful for my next cake?

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 11

There are a couple of steps to fuss with here.

First you have to cut the band straight (as in using a metal ruler long enough to cut one length the circumference of the iced cake). Roll the strip up so that you can hold it steady as you apply it to the side of the cake.

Second the cake has to sit level (meaning whatever is below it must also be level) this needs a small spirit level that you keep for cakes.

Third you need to mark the tier--pinpricks are good enough if the cake sits on a flat surface and you use a small metal "square" (an L shaped tool with ruler marks) to mark the spots. Again this metal tool should be reserved for cakes.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 11

This technique should work well:

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-to-make-horizontal-stripe-cake.html

Seriously, this woman is brilliant. I've got to try this sometime.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 11

Jessicakesblog.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 11

There's also all these tools:

shannycakers Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 11

thank you all for your helpicon_smile.gif wow that petal craft ribbon guide helper looks wonderful!!!!!!!

I already own that wilton guide and with wrapping the band around by hand even with the pin pricks i didnt feel it was straight enough, my cake was level, I also had previoiusly read jessi blog, but for the one strip in the middle it didnt seem to help what i needed on a 3 tier cake.

I am def buying that pc ribbon guide, it looks like that is just what i need!! thanks!!. I did see a suggestion also of freezing the rolled up cut ribbon for a minute prior to attaching and i will try that with the ribbon guide.

Thank you all for the much needed help and I am going to look at the other links, suggested when i get off workicon_smile.gif. I really appreciate everyone.

Happy Caking!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 11

Freezing it may cause it to condensate and then it will be really sticky when you try to put it on.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 11

What I have started doing recently:

cover cake in fondant

let dry for 15 minutes or so (depending on your climate)

apply a big fat ribbon to the area you want to cover, but wider

use a paring knife to trace the top and bottom line of where the ribbon will be (hold your hand in one place VERY steady and turn the turntable with the other hand)

push in deeper on the second revolution to cut all the way through the band (into the base fondant some is ok)

peel off excess (if it sticks too much, you need to let your base coat dry more - but not so much that the fondant won't stick to it at all)

HTH

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 11:43am
post #10 of 11

The laser level will shine a red band of light on your cake, As you turn the cake, the light continues to shine at the exact same height. Prop up the level with books and pieces of cardboard/foamboard/whatever until it's exactly the height you need for either the top or the bottom of the ribbon. When applying the ribbon, line it up on the line as you turn the cake.

I would add a picture to show you, but this site won't let me. The picture doesn't show up.

shannycakers Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 11

thank you very much! I must get one of these laser levelsicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%