Cake Out In The Sun

Decorating By kt1973 Updated 16 Oct 2012 , 9:42pm by kakeladi

kt1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kt1973 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a cake for a Halloween event at my daughters school. The cake will be in the hot California sun all day. What kind of frosting and decorating can I do that will be safe to eat and not melt after so much time in the sun?
Thanks
Kate

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 4

Please see this video by Bronwen Weber. She shows what happens to a tiered cake that has been decorated in buttercream after a little while at 110º.

Rather than attempt to do a cake that will withstand the sun, I would suggest that you/the school find a way to provide some shade for your cake, or, have them bring it from a cooler indoor spot to outside for the display at the last minute.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 4

OMG!! I just watched that video. This should be required viewing for anyone planning an out door event in the summer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 4

I have made 100s of b'cream cake in central CA and not had the problem that video shows! icon_smile.gif Yes, it does matter exactly which recipe and how hot it gets but as my pix show many a cake has survived outdoors.
I highly recommend this recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/2-icing

I once set up a wedding cake (at the bride's insistence) something like 10 am in the bride's front yard - not a tree/shrub or other shade around. I learned much later that the reception didn't happen until around 4 pm. I was told by someone who attended that the cake was a 'bit dry' but didn't melt or have any other problems.
Quote from dayti:....... suggest that you/the school find a way to provide some shade for your cake, or, have them bring it from a cooler indoor spot to outside for the display at the last minute......

Totally agree w/this advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%