Homemade Gumpaste

Baking By Springwillow Updated 15 Oct 2012 , 8:46am by Springwillow

Springwillow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Springwillow Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 9:18am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I made some home made gumpaste and it is a beige color....did I do something wrong?? Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 11:01am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springwillow

Hi all,

I made some home made gumpaste and it is a beige color....did I do something wrong?? Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

Which recipe did you use? I made Nicholas Lodge's once - I followed the instructions/video from Jacqueline Butler in her Craftsy class - and it didn't come out bright white like store bought either. But I wouldn't call it beige so much as slightly off white. You couldn't tell when I started making white flowers though. I think it's just the whole mass is off white, but when using little bits it's fine.

Springwillow Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 11:20am
post #3 of 7

Hi Dayti,

Thank you for your response icon_smile.gif

I live in eastern canada and can only get gum tex here so used the recipe on the can. It was also very wet when I put in plastic wrap. When I went to kneed in the cup of icing sugar the blob was hard as rock....nuked it for 20 seconds and then tried to kneed it in....was way too dry.
So in saying all that I think I messed up badly LOL

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 11:47am
post #4 of 7

Oh, no idea then, sorry, I've never used the gum tex stuff! Here is his recipe if you want to try it:
http://www.cakeswebake.com/forum/topics/nicholas-lodges-gumpaste

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 12:24am
post #5 of 7

Gumpaste will normally be off-white while wet, and much whiter when it dries. thumbs_up.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 1:27am
post #6 of 7

The gumtex recipe is the only recipe I've ever used because it has yielded perfect results almost every time I've made it. That recipe is very sensitive to humidity, and must be measured accurately for best results. I always weigh the ingredients rather than measure them. When I mix the first part it is always VERY soft and VERY off white (almost beige). I always mix it in the evening so it has at least 12 hours to rest. I coat it with crisco, wrap it in saran while it is still warm nd put it in ziplock bag on the counter. The next day it is usually VERY hard. I heat it in the microwave till it is almost too hot to handle, grease the counter and my hands with crisco and start working in the last 4 ounces of icing sugar. If I find the ps isn't working in, I wet my fingers with a bit of water and keep working. If it sticks to my fingers I add a bit of crisco. After all the PS is mixed in it will be just slightly off white, as it dries it will become whiter. All the flowers in my photos are made with this gumpaste, and most of the figures are made with a combo of this gp with either fondant or candy clay. hth

Springwillow Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 8:46am
post #7 of 7

Hi,
Thank you very much for responding. Cakeyouverymuch you have given me some hope so I will try again and do as you do icon_smile.gif

Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%