Carved Teddy Bear Cake Help!

Decorating By Momy2Boys Updated 13 Oct 2012 , 2:35am by debidehm

Momy2Boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momy2Boys Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 1:45am
post #1 of 2

I want to make this carved teddy bear cake for my sons 6 month birthday party.

Here is a link to the photo, http://bakeabooing.blogspot.com/2012/04/making-of-famous-mrme-to-you-bear-cake.html

She used a 6" for the body and a 4" for the head. I need a bigger cake than that so am going to try to use an 8" size for the body, and 6" size for the head.

I'm fairly new to caking but to me it looks like she baked 2 of each size cake (pluse the additional one for the body parts) and stuck them together with the filling so I would need a total of 5 cakes. Right???

Then it also looks like she just did 45 degree angled cuts around the top layer of the body and for the bottom part of the body she just left round except for the area she was going to attach the legs. Would you agree???

Neither one of my 6" round cakes doamed like hers did. So do you have any suggestions on how I can round the top of the bears head???

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!! icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 2:35am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momy2Boys

I want to make this carved teddy bear cake for my sons 6 month birthday party.

Here is a link to the photo, http://bakeabooing.blogspot.com/2012/04/making-of-famous-mrme-to-you-bear-cake.html

She used a 6" for the body and a 4" for the head. I need a bigger cake than that so am going to try to use an 8" size for the body, and 6" size for the head.

I'm fairly new to caking but to me it looks like she baked 2 of each size cake (pluse the additional one for the body parts) and stuck them together with the filling so I would need a total of 5 cakes. Right???

Then it also looks like she just did 45 degree angled cuts around the top layer of the body and for the bottom part of the body she just left round except for the area she was going to attach the legs. Would you agree???

Neither one of my 6" round cakes doamed like hers did. So do you have any suggestions on how I can round the top of the bears head???

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Round the top of the head by cutting it away. Looks like that's what she did. Yes, It looks like she baked 5 cakes...or she may have used the cut-a-way scrapes to make the arms and legs (in cake pop fashion...where the cake that was cut off was smooshed together into the shape needed.) Then again...after reading the tutorial, she did say she baked an extra cake for the body parts. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%