What's The Best Way To Do A Bow On The Side Of A Tier

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 14 Oct 2012 , 8:26pm by Dani1081

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 1:33am
post #1 of 8

What's the best way to do a bow on the side of a tier, but not resting on the bottom, i.e. in the middle of the side of the tier? Every time I do this, the bow either breaks, falls off, etc., and I can't seem to figure out how to get it to stay securely. I use a toothpick for support through the middle of the bow - any other suggestions?

7 replies
paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 2:37am
post #2 of 8

I never use a toothpick. Just do the bow ahead of time so that it can dry and then I brush the back with a little alchohol (vodka or vanilla extract) and put it on the cake, might have to hold it there for a few seconds. That is on a fondant cake, never attatched one to a buttercream cake.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 3:07am
post #3 of 8

I use fondant glue when adding a fondant piece to a fondant covered cake...especially if one of the pieces has been dried (like your bow I'm assuming) and is a heavier piece. I sometimes will use a toothpick if necessary (if the piece is really heavy). I just find, for me, that using just water or alcohol doesn't adhere the decorations well enough unless the decoration I'm adding to the cake hasn't dried yet.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 3:39am
post #4 of 8

Melted chocolate is a great glue for holding bows. Just melt the chocolate, Use a brush and brush chocolate on back of bow, a little on cake and hold until it sets up. hth

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 8

I haven't tried melted chocolate - maybe I'll do that next time. I used RI, and some toothpicks to hold the loops too. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. The bow is too heavy to just use fondant glue or water.

missamylynn06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missamylynn06 Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 8

Ive always used a toothpick also for buttercream cakes. It is pretty hard to get them to stay if its a larger bow icon_smile.gif

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 8

Use gumpaste for the bow - you can roll it thinner and it will weigh less. Use gum glue to attach, support with foam if neccessary, until the glue has dried.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 8

I use melted chocolate or candy melt - it will hold quite a bit of weight on a buttercream cake. You just have to hold it til the chocolate sets - my cakes are always cold, so it doesn't take long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%