Gumpaste Flower Dry Time

Decorating By JackiSto Updated 13 Oct 2012 , 12:19am by FromScratchSF

JackiSto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiSto Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 3

HEY ALL... I HAD ONE VERY LARGE, AND SIX MEDIUM ROSES DONE ON TUESDAY... THEN MY HUSBAND KNOCKED THEM ONTO THE FLOOR LAST NIGHT, AND ALL THE OUTER PETALS CRACKED, SO I WILL BE MAKING THEM AGAIN TONIGHT WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK... MY QUESTION IS THIS:

I HAVE NEVER USED SATIN ICE GUMPASTE BEFORE, SO I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNEW HOW COMPARABLE THE DRY TIME IS, SINCE IT IS AMAZINGLY PLIABLE, IT SEEMS LIKE IT MIGHT TAKE LONGER... I DIDN'T REALLY CHECK THEM SINCE TUESDAY SINCE I KNEW THEY'D BE DRY BY TOMORROW

ALSO, OTHER THAN THE LIGHT IN THE OVEN, ANY TIPS TO HELP SPEED THE DRYING PROCESS... I HAVE TO HAVE THEM FOR TOMORROW MORNING!!!! I MEAN, I KNOW THE OUTSIDE WILL BE HARD, BUT I WORRY ABOUT PLACING THEM ON THE CAKE icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 3

I have not used Satin Ice gp, but in general most gp flowers will dry in a few hours to overnight. Speed by placing in front of a fan OR in an oven with just the light on - the heat from the light will be enough to help dry them.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 12:19am
post #3 of 3

Humidity plays a big part in how fast your gumpaste dries. I live in a high humidity area and I don't touch my petals for 24 hours. Also, if I need to have something dry faster I do not use plastic formers, only paper. The more surface air you have the better you will be.

Commercial gumpaste does not dry as fast as homemade, they do it that way to give you a longer working time. So anyway, good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%