Making 1St Wedding Cake - Need Help Stat!

Decorating By CakesByBeth Updated 15 Oct 2012 , 1:38am by cheatize

CakesByBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBeth Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,
I am making my first wedding cake and I need help!!

Last night I filled torted and filled the cake - 3 layers filled with raspberry filling. I let it sit overnight wrapped up in Saran so I could let it set and avoid the dreaded 'cake fart'.

BUT - today a big of the filling has snuck out of my buttercream dam! Not much, just a bit - but I'm really afraid it will keep seeping out! AND on top of this, as the cake set (and seeped!) it became slightly lopsided.

How do I fix these issues?

I'm kinda freaking out - this cake is for my brothers wedding, and bringing a lopsided cake that seeps filling is not an option!

PLEASE HELP! (And thanks in advance!)

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 11

Fist, did you weight the cake for settling?

But truly, there's too much filling in it.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 11

Next time use raspberry jam. You can even boil it with raspberry jello to stiffen it some more, if you need a thicker layer.

Pie filling is only good for one tier cakes less than 12" because in bigger cakes, the weight of the layers themselves cause enough pressure to do this.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 11

there are many factors that can cause your problem. Were the layers leveled? How did you torte - where the cuts level?
At this point I would suggest you take the tiers apart and re-pipe your dam - & maybe scrape a bit of the filling off so there is none higher than the dam.

CakesByBeth Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks all, I ended up taking the cake apart and taking out some filling and redoing my dam. I let it sit for about 4 hours to make sure it wouldn't happen again and then covered the cake. It's still standing and no bumps or bulges! (Phew!)

(And no, I didn't weight the cake when I let it sit overnight. Should I have? I thought you did that when you didn't have the time to let it set for very long...)

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 11

I am not sure how an online store that sells clothing and accessories is supposed to help, nkjfsdiu!

RE: ORIGINAL POST
As others have indirectly mentioned, your filling may have been too "runny". Your icing dam could also have been not stiff enough or not high enough. I am glad it seems to have worked the second time. Even if you don't "weigh" the cake down, I always use some pressure on top of the cake as I stack each layer to help it settle...and I never ice immediately. Allowing a little time in between helpsicon_smile.gif

pursuing_perfection Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 11

Make sure you post a picture of your first wedding cake! You go girlicon_smile.gif

CakesByBeth Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 11

Here's the finished product! (Sorry, file is too big to attach here...)

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2419027/fall-wedding

I'm pretty happy with it, but I think I had bad mojo on this one cause my new bucket of fondant that I bought was kinda crappy. It had crystalized balls of power that were not mixed in properly and I had to roll our my fondant and then pick all the darn things out and the re-roll it! Grrrr!!

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 11

It looks great! Good for you for having the courage to take it apart and make it right! Your brother is lucky to have such a nice cake (and sister) at his wedding!

pursuing_perfection Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 11

Tha cake turned out wellicon_smile.gif Most people don't realize how much work can go into making what LOOKS like a simple cake.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 1:38am
post #11 of 11

When letting cake settle overnight, I still have to weight it down?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%