Opinions On "rectangular Cookie Sheet Baking Stone"

Baking By metria Updated 28 Oct 2012 , 1:12am by cookiekisses

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 4:56am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any opinions / reviews on the "Rectangular Cookie Sheet Baking Stone by Hartstone Pottery"?

I can purchase it locally at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for $34.99. I was initially shopping for a pizza / bread baking stone, and came across it. I was weirded-out that this is for cookies. There's only 1 review on Amazon.com for it. What do yall think?

http://www.hartstonepottery.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=1655&ccode=49800413

Quote:
Quote:

Rectangular Cookie Sheet Baking Stone is made of stoneware and is non-absorbent and naturally stick-resistant ... which makes them DISHWASHER AND SOAP SAFE!

The Cookie Sheet Baking Stone can also be used as a Pizza Stone, perfect for square and rectangular pizza. This Retangular Cookie Sheet Baking Stone is made in Ohio by Hartstone Pottery.

DIRECTIONS: The first time you use your baking stone, season it with any rubbed or sprayed cooking oil. You won't need to treat your stone after the first use. After each use simply put it in the dishwasher with all of your other dinnerware ... and wash away! Our baking stones are freezer to oven safe, microwave safe, incredibly durable and Lead Free ... just what you'd expect from Hartstone! Cut and serve from its surface!

7 replies
cookiekisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiekisses Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 5:27am
post #2 of 8

I mostly make cookies and I only use stoneware. I don't know about that specific brand. I use the Pampered Chef flat stones. I season them with a batch of chocolate chip cookies since they are high on the fat content. Pampered Chef stoneware does not need to be preheated. One thing to keep in mind, although they are freezer, microwave, oven safe...going from one extreme temperature to another will break the stone. In addition, soap should not be used to clean stoneware since the soap will clog the porous surface and loosen into your food while baking, and no one like soapy food. Believe it or not, what cleans your dishes is the hot water and scrubbing motion. The soap is used as an emulsifier to get grease off. Since you want the grease to be absorbed by the stone, you just wash under hot water and scrub with a soap-free scrubbie or sponge. The P.C. stones are pricey, as is the one you are looking at it, but I have many people use my cookie recipes without the same results as mine...they use metal pans and I use stoneware. Stoneware is heavy but I think it is well worth the weightlifting icon_lol.gif and worth the investment. I am a low-income family and I would still spend the money on a stone, should it break (please G-D, no...). I use stoneware loaf pans, roasters, bar pans, pie pans... I really like how they work. One more thing to keep in mind. Since stoneware absorbs the oils from your food, if you are making fish on a stone, you should only do it once it is seasoned and you should line it with parchment paper since you wouldn't want fish oils to be absorbed into your other foods. I keep one stone separate for fish, and one separate for chicken. All of my breads, cookies, cakes... can use the other stones. I hope this was helpful!

Go For It!!

Good Luck,
Sara

3D-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3D-Sweets Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 8

While cookiekisses always uses a stone, I never do! (Guess that goes to show there's never one solution. Maybe not so helpful for you, though.)

I make both hand-iced and out-of-hand cookies (like oatmeal chocolate chip). I find the stone overbakes the bottoms of my cookies. I just use regular half-sheet pans from Sam's Club.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 2:14am
post #4 of 8

thank you both so much for your thoughts! i think i might dig up a coupon and purchase it. i hope i have a good experience!

JoesRight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoesRight Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 8

I have a pizza stone that we use, and my crusts come out really great. Do you guys think I can us it for cookies, too? I can probably fit about a dozen or more average sized cookies on it.

And if you can't use soap, is warm water enough to keep it sanitary? Is there another cleaning solution, like apple cider vinegar and water that I can use to clean it?

cookiekisses Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 8

Go for it; my chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin...as well as sugar/cookie cutter cookies come out fantastic on a stone! I clean with hot water and a scrubby. It is sanitary enough as the hot water is what cleans, and the scrubby opens the pores or the clay. The Pampered Chef has more information about this, you can check their website or call their customer service.

Good Luck!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 2:07am
post #7 of 8

I only use the Pampered Chef stones as well. I love them! The only issue I find is that they stay hot for a very long time after coming out of the oven so it's hard to do one sheet after another of cookies.

cookiekisses Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 1:12am
post #8 of 8

I let the cookies sit 2 minutes on the cookie sheet, then take them off and cool on a cooling rack. I then put the cookies on the hot pan and bake for regular time. If doing many multiple batches, eventually the bake time can be cut down by one minute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%