Make Or Buy Fondant?

Business By SandyES00 Updated 18 Oct 2012 , 6:22am by lorieleann

SandyES00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyES00 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 14

So far, I have been making my own fondant with Michelle Foster's Recipe. I love the way it tastes, but recently, I have been having trouble with it once it's colored, and even without those problems, it's so messy and time consuming to make. What do people do? I am not doing huge volumes of cakes, but would buying fondant be worth it? Do you buy white and color it or buy the colors separately? Is it difficult to color? Taste?

13 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 14

We purchase. The quality, flavour, colour, and consistancy are always the same.

Most of the recipes I've seen for making one's own paste contain gelatine (we don't use gelatine). We also use about 800-1000 kilos of paste a year - and that's just too much - both in time spent making, and way too much wear and tear on the body to knead that much paste.

Some colours we purchase (brown, black and red), and others we colour ourselves.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 14

I make mine other than the dark colors.

tabathaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabathaba Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 14

I tried making fondant and also several different brands of fondant. I have been incredibly pleased with Satin Ice.

It's so easy and it always stays nice and soft. I buy white, brown, red, and black. I color from there. Since it is so soft it's very easy to mix in paste color. It also tastes very good.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 14

I buy FondX in white and in dark colors. If I have to cover a tiered cake in ivory, I buy ivory pre-colored. I used to make Michelle Foster's fondant when I was making cakes as a hobby, but now that I have a business and much higher volume, I just don't have the time to make it anymore. I like the taste and workability of Fondx and the extra $ spent to purchase is more than made up for in the time I save.

Edited to add: I also find that the quality of Fondx is much more consistent and easier to work with than homemade.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 14

I'm also very happy with SatinIce. Even though I only make an occasional cake, it's worth it to me to buy fondant so that I get in and out of the kitchen.

SandyES00 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 14

Yeah, I'm torn because it's so much cheaper to make fondant, but a bit of a pain, and I've been experiencing some difficulties with consistency, but I think it's because of adding too much color to achieve darker colors. Maybe I'll go with the whole making it unless it's a darker color because right now I'm not doing a huge volume and do have the time Thanks for all the recommendations.

Maryam_yousaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maryam_yousaf Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 12:46am
post #8 of 14

Can somebody help me that from where can I buy fondant and other cake supplies in melbourne. Thanks

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 1:17am
post #9 of 14

I buy Fondx, cause I got tired of making it and I get great results. It was worth it to me. I will make MMF for cookies though. I think homemade MMF taste pretty good for a fondant and I think that is what counts for a cookie.

cookiemonster025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemonster025 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyES00

Yeah, I'm torn because it's so much cheaper to make fondant, but a bit of a pain, and I've been experiencing some difficulties with consistency, but I think it's because of adding too much color to achieve darker colors. Maybe I'll go with the whole making it unless it's a darker color because right now I'm not doing a huge volume and do have the time Thanks for all the recommendations.

I have the same problem when adding lots of color MFF. It turns into a sticky soggy mess! What works much better is to add the coloring to the liquid mixture when you are melting it all together. Then when you add that to the powdered sugar, its easy to add enough powdered sugar to compensate for the extra liquid. Makes a HUGE difference, and I've managed to get really dark colors this way.

SandyES00 Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that next time. So when you are talking about Michelle Foster's recipe and the melting stage, do you mean when you have combined all the liquids and gelatin and stuff? Would you add it when it's at the cooling stage or when you are still popping it in the microwave?

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 14

I actually like making it, and it doesn't take me much more than 10 minutes.

cookiemonster025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemonster025 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 3:33am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyES00

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that next time. So when you are talking about Michelle Foster's recipe and the melting stage, do you mean when you have combined all the liquids and gelatin and stuff? Would you add it when it's at the cooling stage or when you are still popping it in the microwave?

I add it when I'm adding the other liquids to the gelatin. That's been working for me so far! I made royal blue recently and because it required so much coloring, I reduced the amount of glycerin I added as well.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 6:22am
post #14 of 14

i have pretty much switched over to FondX (regular for colors and decor, Elite Plus for covering). I like the consistency in consistency and having colors ready and all on hand. When CalJava has a multi-color box sale it is a great time to stock up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%