How The Wood Type Cookie Project Turned Out

Decorating By hbquikcomjamesl Updated 10 Oct 2012 , 11:57am by Panel7124

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 11

Well, the Annual Los Angeles Printers' Fair was this past Saturday, and all 183 "regular" cookies sold (with the result that I was fully reimbursed for the cost of the ingredients), and my dairy-allergic fellow docent bought the entire batch of dairy-free/vegan cookies (for over 3 times the cost of the ingredients).

Cutting and assembly:
Wood Type Cookie Project by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr

Ready for the oven:
(The edges of the foil are turned up in an attempt to confine spread and shield the edges from overcooking)

Out of the oven:

Sorting and Counting:
All 183 "regular" cookies

This had to be the most labor-intensive baking project I've ever undertaken, and I made it very clear that if wood type cookies come back next year, I'm not doing all of them by myself!

10 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 11

What a lot of careful work. Those people were lucky to get these.

Now that we can see what you are trying to do...You might try lowering your oven temperature by 25F to avoid over-dark edges. Or roll your base sheet a little thicker.

May I suggest that next year, you bake the cookies without the prepainted colour? You can then make modelling chocolate toppers for the letters that will make the whole blocks look perfect.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 11

Well, for the first test batch, I used CakeMate "Classic Writing Icing" to "ink" the cookies after baking:

Wood Type Cookies, Mk. 1 by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr

but that took bloody forever, even with the comparatively simple "integral sign" cutter I used before I bought the set of alphabet cutters. It also made them a bit too sweet, and meant a significant drying time before they could be stacked.

I'm not sure how "modeling chocolate toppers" would make a difference, unless they replace not only the cookie-paint, but the second layer of dough as well.

The thought has occurred to me that with some sort of candy letters mounted on rice krispie treat bases, I could even make these things "type-high," not that they'd survive being locked up into a chase like an actual type forme, hung on a press, and printed.

Not shown: the dairy-free batch. In order to make them vegan, as well as dairy-free, I used a flour-based cookie-paint for that one batch. So long as it didn't clump, that actually seemed to bake a little better than the egg-tempera, although it was harder to apply smoothly.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

What a lot of careful work. Those people were lucky to get these.

I still don't know what the food booth ended up charging for them. I did make it very clear to them that they needed to charge more than the 10 cents apiece reimbursement I was dinging the museum for.

And if you didn't understand my "what do you think you are, a museum docent" comment in another thread, maybe you do now. icon_biggrin.gif

On tap for this week: a cake for my parents' 55th wedding anniversary. With an edible image of a "SPEED LIMIT 55" sign, altered in GIMP to look like somebody had spray-painted "WHAT" over "SPEED."

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl

Well, for the first test batch, I used CakeMate "Classic Writing Icing" to "ink" the cookies before baking:

Before baking? did I read that right? Most icings WILL soften during baking. The only exception I have used is a meringue that sets fast as soon as the dough goes into the oven and then stays in place. You would pipe the letters--decorative, but they wouldn't look like type.

Quote:

I'm not sure how "modeling chocolate toppers" would make a difference, unless they replace not only the cookie-paint, but the second layer of dough as well.

The thought has occurred to me that with some sort of candy letters mounted on rice krispie treat bases, I could even make these things "type-high"

Well modelling chocolate is exactly that: pliable candy that can be rolled out and cut with your letter cutters. It will sit just as well on baked cookie dough as on rice krispies treat. It can replace the second layer of cookie when rolled that thick, or it can replace the inking on the letter, when rolled thinner and added after baking.

I personally would bake 2 layer cookies and add the candy highlight.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Quote:

Well, for the first test batch, I used CakeMate "Classic Writing Icing" to "ink" the cookies before baking:

Before baking? did I read that right?

You read it right; I just wrote it wrong. (OOPS! Corrected!) Frosting is after baking; cookie-paint is before baking!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 11

Actually, I think the biggest pain-in-the-butt out of the whole process was the cookie cutters: the parts that cut out the counters of the A, B, D, O, P, Q, and R don't go all the way down, and so for every last one of those letters, I had to bottom-out those lines with a toothpick, then dig out the counters.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 11

Wow! that is so much work. I hope they were appreciated!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 11

They were definitely appreciated.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 12:52am
post #10 of 11

James, you did a beautiful job with this project!

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 11:57am
post #11 of 11

Definitely better outcome than expected icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%