Help Please Red Velvet/cream Cheese Frosting And Fondant Dec

Decorating By lovechocolate Updated 8 Oct 2012 , 1:09pm by lovechocolate

lovechocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovechocolate Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 8

hi there, nice to meet u all...question for you..have you ever made a red velvet cake covered in cream cheese frosting and then decorated with fondant flowersif so...
how did you apply fondant piecesroyal icing, vodka, etc?
when did you apply fondant as I know cream cheese cake should be refrigerated...
after applying decorations did you refrigerate with fondant pieces on?
one more while I am at it , I never used dowels and cake boards on a non fondant covered cake, would it be same approach?
thanks sooo much
Maria

7 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 8

I treat my red velvet cakes just like I do any other when it comes to structure. I use a plate & column system. Never had a problem (knock on wood).

Where are the fondant flowers going? Are they heavy?

I will post a photo of a groom's cake I did for this weekend. The entire cake is red velvet with cream cheese. All of the decorations are fondant, edible images, or cream cheese.

I baked the cake Monday, crumb coated Tuesday, final coated & started decorating Thursday, finished details on Friday. In between each phase, I refrigerated the cakes including with fondant decorations.

Hope that helps.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2414171/go-pirates-yankees-panthers-tarheels

Not sure if you can tell, but the 2nd & 3rd tiers are cream cheese not covered with fondant. The little baseballs are red fondant circles with white fondant circles with edible images. The cream cheese held them just fine.

lovechocolate Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 3:45am
post #4 of 8

wow, thank u sooo much for the replies, you are sooo nice to take the time out...so to bug you again, how did you apply fondant decorations?royal icing, cream cheese frosting?thanks soo much again, I truly appreciate..you girls make beautiful cakes!!!

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 10:00am
post #5 of 8

I just made a RV cake w CC icing and used water to apply the music notes, letters, etc to the cake. I didn't add flowers but if I did I'd just lay them on top and toothpicks maybe for any side flowers. HTH

lovechocolate Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 8

hi there, thanks soo much for the reply!!Did you refrigerate after fondant pieces on, or just deliver? One more for torture...did you tell the client to refrigerate cake or leave at room temp........sorry....this cream cheese makes it so much harder than just fondant to fondant!
Thanks again

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 8

I out just a little bit of water on the fondant & pressed onto the cream cheese.

lovechocolate Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 8

thanks soo much, worried that water would not hold as well since it is not adhering to fondant..so thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%