Friday Night Cake Club 10/5/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 9 Oct 2012 , 12:50am by debidehm

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 2:46am
post #1 of 19

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up? Whatcha' working on?

Cat

18 replies
catlharper Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 2:51am
post #2 of 19

Hi there everyone!

Only one order this week...ROLO cupcakes for a dinner party tomorrow night. So I have been working on the events we have scheduled instead of cakes this week. In fact, the next few weeks I only have one order. This is the normal Fall slowdown for me. November and December will be nuts but right now the slow down gives me time for my other work which includes a Destination Wedding next April. Tons of details to work through before presenting the ideas for our Bride. I spend hours online.

Next week I have a Boston Creme Pie. I'm SO looking forward to this...so much that I'm actually going to make two! One for us and one for the client! LOL!

How is everyone else doing?

Cat

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:09am
post #3 of 19

I just finished a cake for my friend's girlfriend. All I was told is that she likes owls, frogs, wildflowers, teal, mauve, and taupe.... I love it when my friends give me free reign on the design. What do you guys think????

So now I get get sit down and enjoy the rest of the night with my family. YAY!!!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2413926/whoos-40

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:11am
post #4 of 19

I had a buttercream order for a guitar rock cake and a princess barbie cake. I hate hate hate buttcream.i think next time ill pass on doing it. My hat is off the all of you that do such beautiful buttercream cakes. The princess cake isnt due until three tomorrow. I got half way done and decided that rather thsn mess it up ill work on it when im refreshed in the morning. But hey atleast its fondant.i may not even post pics of the guitar rock cake.it would have been so cute in fondant..........

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:11am
post #5 of 19

Just came in from finishing a inside-out three tier Reese's cup cake. Chocolate cake, peanut butter icing, ganache and lots of Reese's Cups! Also One hundred fifty "three bite" tarts, apple, pecan and pumpkin.
Next week cooking for a crowd of friends!

catlharper Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:31am
post #6 of 19

mom2twogrlz: That is super cute! I bet she will LOVE it!

justpracticecakes: I TOTALLY agree! LOL! In fact, last Christmas my husband got me a "FONDANT" tshirt and our daughter a "BUTTERCREAM" tshirt! LOL! She hates to work with fondant as much as I hate to work with Buttercream! LOL!

LKing12: I'm exhausted just reading your post! You deserve to sit back and relax tonight!

CAt

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:34am
post #7 of 19

Thank you! It was a fun one.

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 5:01am
post #8 of 19

Finished a fondant engagement cake only to find out the party was moved to next weekend. Can I freeze a simple fondant covered cake? I've never tried this before.

catlharper Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 5:06am
post #9 of 19

Yes you can. Wrap it in something like Press and Seal twice. Make sure it's flat in the freezer. Take it out a day before and let it completely come to room temperature unwrapped. You will see "blooms" as it thaws out on the fondant...shiny spots that will evaporate on their own when it completely is thawed. I had to do this last year for a family dinner...had the cake totally done when the dinner was moved a week. The thawed cake still tasted wonderful and because I gave it a full day to thaw out the "blooms" were gone.

Cat

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 5:14am
post #10 of 19

Thanks Cat! I've been researching. Some say to let the cake thaw completely wrapped and others mention unwrapping before thawing. I'm not sure which would work better. I'd be worried about moisture getting trapped inside the wrap and creating "goo" during thawing.

catlharper Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 5:29am
post #11 of 19

The real issue with thawing it wrapped is that the wrap will not be smooth so as it thaws your cake will take on the wrinkles in the wrap...and then you have to handle the thawed cake to get the wrap off of it. Best to take the wrap off when it's still solid.

owatto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owatto Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 5:57am
post #12 of 19

I finished a owl cake for a first birthday. I had a lot of fun making it, the last few cakes I've done have felt more like real hard work instead of the fun it usually feels like. I think I just lost my cake mojo for a bit but hopefully its coming back!!

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 7:20am
post #13 of 19

I did a birthday/memorial cake (3 tier) last night which I delivered today. Next up is the penguin cake which is due on the 9th. I've been busy and haven't finished the rest of the penguins and other decorations, but plan on doing that this weekend. After that cake I might be getting a little break!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 12:52pm
post #14 of 19

Good evening Cat an everyone, I have just about recovered from my busy week last week , with demonstrating at the rose show all last weekend, three cakes including my Mum's birthday cake , a raffle cake for the rose society ( they raised several hundred dollars with it ) I also did a porsche cake . I have been too tired to even upload the photos I am afraid , I will get to them I promise.

Cat can you tell me what a Boston Cream Pie is , I have heard of them but don't know what they are.

Justpracticecakes, I hate buttercream too, I am very glad it is the exception rather than the norm here. We tend to equate buttercream with "homemade cakes" so rarely get asked for it. For me it is the time to make it and then the mess to clean up afterwards. Give me ganache covered in fondant any day. I love just opening my bucket of fondant.

catlharper Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 19

owatto: I think most of us get to a point where we have been working so much in cake that it has become less of "art" and more of "work". This is why I'm self employed and if I see a few months are really booking up I make sure to put in a "break" week or two in there or do just one cake a week. Glad to hear you had fun on your owl cake. I've only done one and I loved it...they are just so cute!

debidehm: Can NOT wait to see your penguin cake! I think my 11 yr old is waiting impatiently too! Please do post here when you get it done?

Chellescakes: Wow, I'd be tired too! As for a Boston Creme Pie. It's a firm yellow cake filled with vanilla pudding type filling and not quite completely covered in Ganache. It's creamy and gooey to eat but the firm cake keeps it from being mushy. I hardly ever make them because they are also FILLED with calories but with the client order it gives me an excuse<G> LOL!

Cat

debidehm Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 19

I sure will post a pic Cat when I finish it!

debidehm Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 12:06am
post #17 of 19

Penguin cake now finished! Again, I'm not sure who the original design came from, but here is my version of it. I switched out some penguins (since it's close to Halloween) and added a Angel penguin, Devil penguin, Hunter penguin, a Hula Dancer penguin, and a Sax playing penguin. It was a really fun cake to make. I'll be adding more pictures in my gallery. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

catlharper Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 12:42am
post #18 of 19

Oh Em Gee...that is SOOOOO cute! The 11 yr old boy here approves greatly too!<G> We both adore the Pirate!!! Awesome!

Cat

debidehm Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 12:50am
post #19 of 19

Thanks Cat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%