Need Help Fixing My First Gumpaste High Heel Shoe. Help!

Decorating By kss1217 Updated 7 Oct 2012 , 2:50am by ApplegumPam

kss1217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kss1217 Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I was asked to make a red high heel shoe and cake for a birthday on Sunday, Oct. 7. I bought a package of gumpaste and started working on a Manolo Blanik shoe (picture of the shoe I'm trying to copy is in the link below).

I know that the gumpaste needs a few days to harden so I started earlier this week. Well, guess what? Since it was my first shoe, it cracked in half somehow and off I went to the store again this morning for another package of gumpaste..with time running out for the shoe to dry and harden.

I started working on the shoe again and everything turned out fine...until I tried to use Wilton's Color Mist in red to make the shoe more red. Due to my inexperience, it did not distribute evenly and now has the look of dried paint running down the sides of the shoe.

My questions: Is there a way to remove at least SOME of the spray paint off of gumpaste? If not and I have to start over, is there time for it to try in the next 36 hours?

Thanks for ANY help, suggestions, or ideas!!

http://www.cakefu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Manolo-Blahnik1.jpeg

4 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 4:51am
post #2 of 5

Here's what I'd do; (I sell a variation of these so I know what I'm talking about) Get a carton box that can hold your smallest lamp. Put the lamp in and turn it on. You now basically, have a kiln, Use ONLY a low wattage bulb as strong light and/or heat will make your stuff fade and/or melt! Make your shoe components and put them on paper-covered -and-dusted formers in the kiln. Close kiln and leave to dry.... Attach everything with royal icing when dry. Check for doneness in 6-8 hours. PM me if you have problems.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 7:00am
post #3 of 5

Did you buy red gumpaste? And you still want it more red? Hmm. I've never used the Color Mist, but I'm guessing you can practice LIGHTLY depressing the nozzle so that way you get a fine mist instead of a heavy spray of colour.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 6 Oct 2012 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 5

I use vodka when I need to get color off of fondant...maybe this could help...I would NOT use water though.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 2:50am
post #5 of 5

Do you NEED it to be completely edible or are you happy just to get it to look GREAT in a short amount of time.

If its the latter - you can use a piece of corrugated cardboard (the thin stuff used by scrapbookers) you cut the sole template out of this and then insert a couple of your flower wires along the corrugations - bend to get the right arch shape - then cover sole/upper with gumpaste and proceed as you normally would. This step ensures a really strong shoe - that can withstand those high heels AND far less fragile - and can be completed in about 4 hours (assuming you have the heel already dried) I like to put a skewer up the heel whilst if is still soft so that this can be used to stick in the cake to hold it in place - it also makes it easy in the construction process because it can be stuck into a piece of foam to stay in the upright position whilst the rest of your shoe dries - a tip for the upper part of the shoe is to use a piece of foam as a former because it allows air to reach the underside of the gumpaste and it dries evenly

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%