Help On Upcoming Wedding Cake

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 14 Oct 2012 , 5:26am by sweettreat101

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 2:29am
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to create a 4 tier buttercream wedding cake for a friend's daughter wedding. She wants it like the picture here with the tiers being turned. I have done this with 2 tiers, but not with 4. I also have never done a 4 tier cake. The highest I have done is 3 so a little apprehensive with this one. I plan to use a rod all the way through the cake from top to bottom and also dowel each layer. Is there a better method or any tips or tricks on this sort of cake? Planning to use a doctored cake recipe so it can withstand the weight better. Will be doing flowers instead of leaves too.
LL

6 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 3:30am
post #2 of 7

You'll do just fine but it is scary the first time you do something like that. To make it less scary you could put the first two tiers in place then put the top and third tier on top of each other then bring the two halves of the cake to the hall and finish it there. The scary part is the drive to the function hall.

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 7

Since this is square, what sizes would you do this cake in to get the look? 5,8,12,16? Or something different? 6,8,10,12 would overhang.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 7

with square if you do a full turn there needs to be a big size difference not to have and overhang, but if you do a quarter turn not as much. Try it with your pans and see how it looks. I did one with squares but I did a quarter turn.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1477311/fall-wedding-cake
this is the cake I did, it is a 16 12 and 8
The cake in your pic looks like the bottome tier has a quarter turn and the two top ones look like half.

ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 7

4 Tiers isn't any different than three once you get going. I agree with others. Off-set tiers need a big size difference otherwise the edges overhang. I made that mistake with my first off-set cake. Make sure the tiers are very cold when you stack it. Use dowels on each tier to support and one big dowel down the center, sharpened and hammered in. I double my cake boards for tiered cakes. I am not a fan of stacking buttercream cakes, but you can do it!!!!

With your flowers make sure they are not too heavy b/c without fondant there isn't alot to support the weight of the flowers.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 5:26am
post #7 of 7

I would use the SPS system. Global Sugar Art sells square plates. You won't have to dowel down the center. The system is nice and stable it actually holds your cake board in place with a little plastic spike so you don't have to worry about shifting layers. The best thing is it's inexpensive too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%