Bridal Magazine

Business By bitabread Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 1:02am by costumeczar

bitabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitabread Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

Ok so I have a small business baking out of my house and obviously I've been trying to get new clientele and build up my business. I have to admit I dont have a lot of years of experience and that Im still trying to build my portfolio now but having a full time job has made it kind of difficult to a lot of things and expand my portfolio. Well today I was contacted by a sales person from a bridal magazine and Im assuming she wants to try to sell me a spot on the magazine to promote my cakes. Has anyone ever done that? I dont have a lot of experience in elaborated wedding cakes but it makes me think I might be over my head by trying to promote my business at a bridal magazine when I dont have much experience. Is this a bad idea or should I embrace it and take on the challenge? I have yet to meet with the sales rep but Im already getting nervous about it. What do you think? Or should I not assume anything and just wait until I meet with the rep?

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 6

Deal with this by email. Don't waste time on a meeting.

Ask them to spell out their advertising rates.

The response will quickly show you what to do.

My rule of thumb is, they have to give a straight answer to this kind of question, or else I scratch them off my list. Because business people understand that your time is valuable.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 6

Agreed. There is NO reason for a meeting. Get the rate card via email.

When I had my wedding cake biz, which was booming, I did advertise in a local Bridal Magazine.

bitabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitabread Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 6

thank you both for your answers! I still have a lot to learn and it does sounds better to just send her an email and not waste my time on a meeting. thumbs_up.gif I appreciate your help!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 6

If you can borrow it locally, read "Why We Buy" by Paco Underhill.

It was for me a REAL eye-opener about retail that has some useful information about doing business in general. Yes I did apply the lessons to a few different small businesses.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 1:02am
post #6 of 6

Also make sure that it's a local magazine that will be passed out at bridal shows or bridal shops. Don't waste your time paying for an ad in a national magazine, that will be way more expensive and won't reach as many brides who would be hiring you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%