Funeral Cake

Decorating By AngelKiss Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 9:53pm by kakeladi

AngelKiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelKiss Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 13

Hello to all, this is my first time at posting in the forums so please forgive me if I have done so incorrectly.
I have been asked by someone to make a cake for a funeral fo a baby born sleeping. I havn't been asked to make a funeral cake before and was hoping you could help me out with what would be appropriate. I appreciate any help I can get with this matter, thank you xx

12 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 13

Do I understand that the funeral is for a baby or that the request is for a sleeping baby.

Personally, I think less is way more when it comes to funerals. I prefer a classic round appropriately decorated according to flavor...no inscription or anything.

My mother died in March of this year. For her memorial, I made a display of desserts (cupcakes, mini key lime pies, etc.).

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 2:21am
post #3 of 13

"Born sleeping" refers to a "still birth", if that will help anybody with their answer. That's a tough one. Maybe somebody out there has done this before or has gone through it themselves and will know what would be appropriate.

GosiasKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GosiasKitchen Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 2:58am
post #4 of 13

Having gone through a loss myself, I think butterflies and a simple round would be appropriate. The butterflies signify the loss of the child and are a beautiful symbol. Another idea could be an angel but I myself prefer the butterflies. Just my two cents.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:05am
post #5 of 13

My mainstay for funerals is cheesecake. Not a traditional cake, but it can be taken in and out for serving over the course of several days. Also, the leftover freezes well for the family to enjoy later.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:08am
post #6 of 13

Keep it simple. Don't add angels or any other quasi-religious icons to the cake without first talking to the client. You should also ask about butterflies, I think. It is a lovely symbol, but it may not be what the client is comfortable with.

Just my 2 cents.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:13am
post #7 of 13

A sheet cake with a simple shell border. In this case just do white on white.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 13

Forgive my ignorance, but funeral cake? I've never heard of it. Could somebody please enlighten me?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 13

Many cultures have a dinner for the funeral attendees, after the trip to the cemetary. The dinners are sometime catered, sometimes potluck but coordinated to balance the menu.

So this cake baker was asked to make a dessert. NOT a decorated celebration cake.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Many cultures have a dinner for the funeral attendees, after the trip to the cemetary. The dinners are sometime catered, sometimes potluck but coordinated to balance the menu.

So this cake baker was asked to make a dessert. NOT a decorated celebration cake.

Ah! That's what I initially thought while I was reading this thread.

In my neck of the woods you never see an actual cake at the after-party -- it's either small pastries or maybe mini cupcakes or cookies. Nothing fancy. Chances are it will all go virtually untouched unless there are children present..

Thanks for enlightening me!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 13

Just a suggestion: a white frosted BC or fondant covered cake with white roses and like someone suggested simple borders. HTH

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 13

Ive done a couple like this before. I agree something simple. In most cases I did a sheet cake with simple borders and some flowers. The last one I did was for a young girl who passed away and I made cupcakes with just a swirl of white buttercream frosting.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 13

I have made several cakes for funerals but never for a baby. I like the idea of using a few butterflies on an otherwise simply decorated cake.

If it was for other than a baby, I usually try to make a very nice simple, cherry floral. My thought is let's try to brighten up an otherwise dismal day but don't overdo it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%