How To Make Rocks

Decorating By Allison_Rutley Updated 4 Oct 2012 , 3:03pm by Allison_Rutley

Allison_Rutley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allison_Rutley Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 5:44am
post #1 of 8

I will be making a retirement cake using buttercream and candies .... I need to know what everyone would use to make Rocks for a firepit? I will be using tootie rolls for the logs.. Thanks icon_smile.gif

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 8

Grey/black streaky buttercream pushed out of a decorating bag with NO tip. Make lumps and press them flat with your finger. Freeze and place whenever.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 8

This is my favorite recipe for making rocks. I made a batch of this, colored with a touch of brown and black and they look absolutely real, like lava rock. Whatever you don't use keeps well in a covered plastic container for whenever the need arises. (I know, I've been glad to have them on hand...)

Sugar Rocks Receipe
Make royal icing with one fresh egg white and powdered sugar until it is piping consistency. Whip as much air into this icing as possible. Color unevenly. To get the streaked effect dont thoroughly mix the color through the royal icing. Cover with a damp cloth and reserve.
Line a shoe box with heavy duty tin foil. Grease the inside surface of the tin foil on the inside of the box with Crisco.
Melt 4 1/4 cups of granulated sugar in 1 cup of cold water over a low temperature in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook to 280º F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the stove and immediately stir the well beaten royal icing into the hot sugar syrup. Pour into the (greased foil) lined shoe box (or a container of comparable size). This mixtures original volume will grow and bubble up - doubling its volumne. Let cool completely and then break apart for wonderful textured rocks.
For fine grains of sand or gravel these rocks can be crushed or broken into small pieces.

I think it will be perfect for your fire pit. Good luck,

Jan

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 8

I made rocks recently out of black and brown marbled MMF. Just swirl and let the kids roll them out, worked like a charm!

cookiemonster025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemonster025 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 8

I made a firepit with rocks. The easiest thing to do was make little rock shapes with pieces of extra fondant (or extra pieces of tootsie rolls in your case), then put them in a small container with some grey luster dust. Shake up the container to coat all the "rocks", and you're set. Mine are silvery because I didn't have a dull grey dust, but this should give you an idea of what it would look like:

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 8

I marble white, brown, gray and black fondant or modeling chocolate. Pull off small pieces and roll them SLIGHTLY to resemble rocks. Let them dry and place however you want them.

Tyler4250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tyler4250 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 1:25am
post #7 of 8

You can buy chocolate rock candies. I find them in the bulk section at my grocery store. They are really yummy icon_biggrin.gif

Allison_Rutley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allison_Rutley Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the great Ideas....All seem easy enough to accomplish icon_smile.gif Wish I lived in an area that my grocery store would carry chocolate Rocks...Oh well!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%