Need Help Making A Toy Story Cake

Decorating By cakezilla91 Updated 7 Oct 2012 , 9:58pm by debidehm

cakezilla91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakezilla91 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hey y'all!

My nephews birthday is in a month, and he's obsessed with toy story. My sister asked me to make a two tier cake with the amount of people showing up, so I thought of doing an 6" over an 8". I've NEVER done fondant cakes or tiered cakes before so I need all the help I can get. I'm still new to this and usually do well on the recipe rather than the decorating. I'm probably going to borrow ideas from other cakes on here .

In this cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1555682/toy-story I had a few questions. How do I get the red border, the font (and the colours of the font), and the wood? I know what to use to emboss the wood, but what do I use to make it - gumpaste and fondant?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1744698/toy-story In this one, I really liked the brown border, how do I get that? Also the stars and nice and bright, how do I achieve that colour?

Last but not least http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1955318/toy-story-birthday-cake I might stick with the number on top instead of the moon, but how do I get the shape to come out so cute? And what ingredients do I use? He's turning two. Also if any one has an idea of how to do the 'rope' around the cake, that would be brilliant.

Sorry about so many questions, I want his cake to be perfect!! Any additional ideas or tips would be appreciated

10 replies
AngieV256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieV256 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 11

hey there! to answer your questions the best I can:
It looks to me like each of the borders you asked about are just colored fondant that have been twisted together, the only difference being the width. just color your fondant and make two "snakes" stick together one end then spin the other end until its a s tight a spiral as you'd like.
The font looks like cutters to me, you make want to message the baker.
As far as the stars go, it looks like the color is just foo coloring, keep adding yellow until the fondant is nice and bright, then cut out your shapes.
The topper is just hand molded. Draw a shape you like on paper,in this case a swirly 3. Color gum paste (Since you want it to dry) and place a snake of gumpaste on your drawing and shape it. Let it dry at least 2 days before making the cake.

Hope this helps! Can't wait to see your cake!

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 11

To add to what was previously posted, make the "wood" out of fondant if it is going around your cake. The gumpaste will dry too hard and quickly to form around your cake unless you have the cake completely together and then do the "wood" last.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakezilla91

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1744698/toy-story In this one, I really liked the brown border, how do I get that?

It's one piece of fondant that's been scored.

cakezilla91 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieV256

The font looks like cutters to me, you make want to message the baker.

I tried but am still waiting on a response. There's just so many fonts out there! I don't know which one to pick!!

Thank you guys for your help (and patience), but I need to bug y'all with one more question: How do I get stuff to stick to the cake? Like the wood to stick to the cake, and the 'happy birthday' to stick to the wood? I've read that just a little water makes fondant stick to fondant, but I wanted to be sure icon_redface.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:

I've read that just a little water makes fondant stick to fondant, but I wanted to be sure icon_redface.gif

Correct.

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 12:09am
post #7 of 11

The font looks like a Tappit set.

cakezilla91 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMommy

The font looks like a Tappit set.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about tappit sets icon_eek.gif

What about cookie cutters? Or any other alternative?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 11

Tappitts are not so bad if you allow the fondant or gumpaste to dry slightly before working with them. There's a learning curve with them.

cakezilla91 Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 11

one last question (for now? icon_twisted.gif ) will this cake look okay with a 6" over an 8"? Or should I keep the lower tier a 9" or 10"?I just don't want it to look weird.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 7 Oct 2012 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:

one last question (for now? icon_twisted.gif ) will this cake look okay with a 6" over an 8"? Or should I keep the lower tier a 9" or 10"?I just don't want it to look weird.

A 6" over an 8" will look fine. However make sure that you have enough room on the 8" (once the 6" is on top) to add the figures so they have enough room. If it's going to be a tight fit, you might want to go with a 9-10". Just take your empty 6" pan and set on top of an empty 8" pan to see if the figures are going to fit (keep in mind they cakes will be covered in buttercream and fondant) and take it from there! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%