I Am Hooked On Hi-Ratio Shortening!!

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 2 Oct 2012 , 10:08pm by MBHazel

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 3:37am
post #1 of 24

I used it in Sharon Z's bc for the wedding cake - and it really is easier to work with and looks amazingly smooth!!! It reminds me of softened mascarpone, it's absolutely wonderful. I never would've know about it if it weren't for all of you - thank you all for sharing your valuable info!! thumbs_up.gif

23 replies
LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 5:50am
post #2 of 24

I also am hooked! Had a birthday cake today that I stuck my finger into the icing on the front as I was putting it in the box! Was not happy. But it repaired with no trouble and I actually smoothed it out just using the pallet knife. Never going back to any other kind of recipe!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 9:12am
post #3 of 24

Wildgirl i use my owen recipe but i use high ratio shortening isnt wonderful makes it smooth as silk! Did you order it online or end up getting it from somewhere in wisconsin?

Wildgirl Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 24

I didn't have time to get up to Madison, so I found a place down in Rockford that had it. Neither is super convenient, but at least I know where to get it now! And I got a couple of extra tubs to keep on hand even though my family wants to ban me from doing more cakes! lol!

kazita Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 24

Ok do we live by each other? Madison is up for me and Rockford is down for me ans each cake place is like a hour away . I live in Janesville

kazita Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 24

Ok do we live by each other? Madison is up for me and Rockford is down for me ans each cake place is like a hour away . I live in Janesville

Wildgirl Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 12:19am
post #7 of 24

Oh funny - you're my neighbor! I'm in Beloit! Don't you think we need a closer cake supply?!

kazita Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 1:14am
post #8 of 24

Yes we for sure need a closer cake supply store. I cant believe we live so close to each other to funny!

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 1:17am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgirl

Oh funny - you're my neighbor! I'm in Beloit! Don't you think we need a closer cake supply?!

Small world ... I'm in Beloit too icon_smile.gif I buy my high ratio by the 50'lb block at GFS. I freeze in coffee creamer cans.

kazita Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 2:54am
post #10 of 24

I cant believe we all live so close and find each other here so true small world! Whats GFS?

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 2:59am
post #11 of 24

In Ca. we can't use trans fats, has anyone tried the high ratio shortening with no trans fats?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:04am
post #12 of 24

We use Sweetex Z (high ratio, zero trans fats), it works similarly to Sweetex in our frosting recipes but the resulting product is more temperature sensitive.

kazita Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:20am
post #13 of 24

Now i read that if it doesnt have trans fat in it than its not considered high ratio shortening. I was using criso but found out that thats zero trans fat and so is the walmart brand so i bought some high ratio shortening at the cake supply store. Can you get high ratio shortening shipped to Ca? Or is it not aloud there at all? Where abouts in Ca are you ? I grew up out there in San Bernardino

kazita Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:25am
post #14 of 24

I guess sweetex Z would stand for zero trans fats huhh?

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:30am
post #15 of 24

We can buy it and use it for home use but cannot use it in products sold to the public.

kazita Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:49am
post #16 of 24

I just read a old post on here from Leah S. She says to make the sweetx z acted more like high trans fat shortening that you have to get some fat back into making the Bc she suggest instead of using water or milk for the liquid in your recipe to use heavy whipping cream in the place of the liquid you are using, i already do this with my Bc and like i said its smooth as silk. Im sure that makes it way fattening but it is a treat not a daily meal around here well not everyday lol

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 4:46am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita

Now i read that if it doesnt have trans fat in it than its not considered high ratio shortening. I was using criso but found out that thats zero trans fat and so is the walmart brand so i bought some high ratio shortening at the cake supply store. Can you get high ratio shortening shipped to Ca? Or is it not aloud there at all? Where abouts in Ca are you ? I grew up out there in San Bernardino

High ratio shortening just means that it is specially formulated with emulsifying agents to work well with recipes with a high ratio of sugar to flour, the ingredients in Sweetex Z (palm oil and emulsifying agents) just happen to contain less than 0.5g of trans fats per serving and thus qualify as trans fat free.

If any retailer in CA still carries shortening with trans fats over 0.5g per serving they won't for long, since it is illegal to sell to anyone (regardless of whether they will use it for commercial or personal use).

Wildgirl Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 4:48am
post #18 of 24

Travmand, I've called and even looked myself at GFS (Gordon Food Service in Rockford) and I didn't see it (and the girl said they didn't have it) - where is it??

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 7:22am
post #19 of 24

Wildgirl, you have to order it from them. It takes 3+ weeks. Mine is Venture brand cake & icing shortening. HTH

Wildgirl Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:08pm
post #20 of 24

Thank you! I didn't know I could order that - that helps!

travmand Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 9:07pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:

Travmand, I've called and even looked myself at GFS (Gordon Food Service in Rockford) and I didn't see it (and the girl said they didn't have it) - where is it??

They don't have it on the shelves...I had to order it from them. I've ordered it twice from them...and have to call again soon. I think it came to about $120 for a 50-lb box. I find it strange they didn't ask if you wanted to order it?? I also get Bettercreme there too....they have that in the freezers for just under $5.

travmand Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 9:09pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita

I cant believe we all live so close and find each other here so true small world! Whats GFS?

Gordon Food Service. It's off of Perryville.

travmand Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 9:24pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by travmand

Quote:

They don't have it on the shelves...I had to order it from them. I've ordered it twice from them...and have to call again soon. I think it came to about $120 for a 50-lb box. I find it strange they didn't ask if you wanted to order it?? I also get Bettercreme there too....they have that in the freezers for just under $5.

Okay...I have the GFS scoop. Their warehouse is currently "out of stock". I'm checking back next week. He found two brands in the computer: Sweetex and one called Wesson Super Quick, which I have never heard of. The item numbers are Sweetex (1080220 for $80) Wesson (362289 for $6icon_cool.gif.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 10:08pm
post #24 of 24

I understand the impact of the high ratio to the icing. Can anyone tell me what, if any difference does it make when used in baked products? Such as, more tender texture?)

Hazel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%