Modifying Frosting Recipe

Baking By LegalAlien Updated 29 Sep 2012 , 2:28pm by BakingIrene

LegalAlien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LegalAlien Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 4

I really want to turn this white frosting recipe http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/ into a chocolate frosting. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do that? I'm worried about ruining the light, foamy consistency of the frosting.

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 4

Well this doesn't give you "foamy" frosting (like a beer) but it's VERY fluffy like whipped cream...

Add melted chocolate to the butter before you add the sugar. 2-3 ounces.

FYI you can use the same weight of powdered sugar, it takes less time to mix and is just as fluffy.

LegalAlien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LegalAlien Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 4:47am
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much! I tried it tonight, and it did end up being kind of runny. Oh well, it was worth a try. Husband said it was the best frosting I'd ever made, so at least someone was happy. icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 4

If it turned out runny, you didn't use quite enough flour. The cooked milk and flour has to be STIFF for this recipe to work.

I sometimes use cornstarch instead of flour--4 tablespoons per cup of milk. Works great. I LOVE this type of icing because you can add less sugar. I add sugar last and only as much as tastes good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%