Painting Onto Black Fondant

Decorating By Waterblommetjie Updated 28 Sep 2012 , 6:04am by Waterblommetjie

Waterblommetjie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Waterblommetjie Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 6:32am
post #1 of 6

Hi fellow cakers!

I want to make a Mexican inspired cake using black fondant and painting with colour on the fondant. I am from South Africa, so if you know of products I can find here, please let me know.

What can I use to paint on the black fondant that will show up?

I will post a pic once I'm done. It's a cake for myself - I'm turning 37 on Tuesday!

Love and frosting

Waterblommetjie

5 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 8:09am
post #2 of 6

You should be able to get powdered food colour which you can mix with alcohol or cocoa butter and paint onto the black directly, cocoa butter will run if it is hot though and unless you can get a some confectioners glaze to mix with the acohol, once the design dries the powdered colour can brush of or smudge if you touch it.
Hope that helps you icon_smile.gif

elda76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elda76 Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 8:45am
post #3 of 6

Hi

I use Cake Flora powder colours mixed with vodka. You have to work fast because it dries quickly.

Congratulations on your birthday.

Good luck

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 9:23am
post #4 of 6

You should be able to get Barco powdered colours there. Just mix them with some Alcohol and paint away . I haven't found a problem with them brushing off once they are dry either.

ShamsD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShamsD Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 10:17am
post #5 of 6

Try Rolkem powder colours and rolkem quick dry essence here in South Africa.I'll try posting the link or google rolkem.
http://www.salessa.co.za/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=58&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

Waterblommetjie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Waterblommetjie Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 6:04am
post #6 of 6

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your advise. icon_smile.gif I also thought Rolkem powders were the way to go!

Will post a pic after the weekend.

Have a great one darlings!

X X X

Love & Frosting

Waterblommetjie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%