Decorating By conchita Updated 5 Oct 2012 , 1:16pm by saraek

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 4:01am
post #1 of 6

I went tomy local store today they had a sale for Duncan Hines
only $1.00 and ofcourse I was so happy and I went to get
a lot of boxes and by the time that I was getting ready to pay I notice
they were a few at $1.00 and some of them regular price and i ask
the cashier and she mention that only the regular flavors were $1.00 and the rest regular price.

so I guess the regular flavors are chocolate,white,and yellow
ant the rest are signature flavors.
I want to know if this is a new thing or what? the cashier also mention
the sizes. she said the regular flavors are smaller and the signature flavors
are a little bigger.
what's up with that?

5 replies
steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 4:26am
post #2 of 6

I went to the store today too. The Food4less had all Duncan Hines on sale for a $1.00. I bought all the 18.25 boxes that was left about 20. I'm not going to worry about them going smaller. I'll just make more cakes from scratch.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 12:20am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

I went to the store today too. The Food4less had all Duncan Hines on sale for a $1.00. I bought all the 18.25 boxes that was left about 20. I'm not going to worry about them going smaller. I'll just make more cakes from scratch.

that's cool I need to go were you live because at my food4less only regular flavors were $1.00
yellow,white and chocolate and rest regular price icon_confused.gif

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 1:36am
post #4 of 6

Food4less has Duncan Hines for .$88 now. And so does Ultra foods. I used a mix last week and just used one cup from the second box to make up the volume difference.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 3:37am
post #5 of 6

DH vowed not to go up on their prices but instead went down on the contents of the boxes by about a cup which sent all of us into a tizzy and threw off our tried and true WASAC recipes - not to mention the Cake Doctor Recipe books. Then they pulled a real dirty trick and increased the price. Pillsbury and Betty Crocker followed suit. So I too am trying out homemade recipes. I'm putting the dry ingredients into baggies then all I have to do is add the wet ingredients - very similar to using a box and it doesn't cost anywhere near the $1,50 I'm now paying per box. With bargain boxes, please look at the expiration date - stores will only put on sale those boxes nearing the end of their shelf life.

saraek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraek Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 6

I found DH cheaper at Meijer... $1.58 for the Signature flavors and less for the regular! I also noticed that the Signature boxes are still 18.25oz while the regular flavors went to 16. I don't use WASC doctored, but another doctored recipe so I haven't noticed much difference in baking or flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%