Did I Not Add Enough...creme Bouquet Question

Baking By yummy Updated 1 Oct 2012 , 2:34pm by denetteb

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 12:57am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, years ago I bought creme bouquet from KK and never used it; at the time I didn't appreciate the smell. Since being on cc and hearing almost everyone rave about it, I decided to give it another try. I was going to buy the CK brand because a bunch of you had good things to say about it. My cake supply store only had Magic Line brand; I LOVE how it smells. I remember how the first bottle I bought smelled; it was too strong but ML smells the same but not as strong.

So, I made a double batch of bc (2lbs. powder sugar, shortening, butter and warm/hot cream) and a little more than 2 tsps. of creme bouquet because I've read here that a little goes a long way. I couldn't even smell it; as my bc was mixing it was smelling like warm cream. I kept adding a little at a time and it never smelled anything like in the bottle. I used whole lot of it; it's hardly any left and I used it only in the icing. How much do you all add to bc to give it a nice but not overpowering flavor? What do you think the problem was if any? Thanks!

4 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 1:52am
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure if I can help you. I only use KK, (Kitchen Krafts), not being willing to try any other as I love the flavor of this particular brand. I buy it in the 8 oz size since I use it frequently. I guess smell, like beauty, is in the "eye" of the beholder. (I inhale deeply when removing the cap), but I couldn't tell you how much I use in a recipe. I just add it to taste---really subjective, I know. All I can say is perhaps another brand would give you the results you desire.

Jan

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 4:15am
post #3 of 5

The important thing is how did it taste, not how does it smell. Did it have a good flavor with the amount you used? I like a strong flavor so usually use more flavoring than what is on the recipe. It may also have a stronger flavor the next day.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 5:46am
post #4 of 5

It tasted good because I wound up adding a little almond, vanilla butter and a little lemon to it. It never tasted the way it smells in the bottle or anything close to it.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 5

For 2 # of powdered sugar I use 2 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp butter extract and 2-3 tsp cream bouquet. I have the magic line brand. I don't know if it exactly tastes like it smells, but to me it is tasty and that is what is important to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%